03 cummins come with rear locked or not?

Huntingman27062

i got my cummins on 37's and new MT's stuck on pretty much wet grass with alittle it of standing water... this is bull crap... lol... it just kinda sunk right down and didnt budge... i had only one front and one back spinning... well i went to car-part.com and looked up an 03 to see if i can find any with maybe some kind of locker already stock and whats weird is almost all of them said "locker"... so what was the norm? i was thinking about trying to sell mine on craigslist or something for the same price as the JY's are getting for them and then go buy one with a locker... save me alot of money... plus im about to finally get a programmer and i had a buddies in mine testing and all it would do was spin... So i thought this may be the cheaper way out... but confused if mines just a rare one without or what? Thanks for the time!

Nope. Mine is 04 4x4 tow package, open rear :doh:

Just makes you wonder, why?

mine came with a factory locker in the rear and i am going to put a power wagon fatory electric locker up front the are cheaper bout 500 bucks

thats a good idea with the power wagon front locker... wonder if they carry the same axles all together? doubt u could find a whole PW front axle for sale though... lol guess im gonn try and sell mine then... lol... maybe some rock krawler guy will want it... then find one with a locker... which tons came up in the search... they also asked about a damper on the pinion yoke? what are they talking about?

10and a half looks kinda like a dana 70 and a 11and a half is bigger than a dana 80 and alot stronger u dont have to buy the gears and front axle just the spool thats what i am gonna do its a electric locker

oh i know... i just find it cheaper to swap the whole axle sometimes instead of regearing and locking... but not in this case... lol... id have to see pics of both side by side i guess...better get to searchin!

you really only need to get the limited slip out of a rear end not the whole axle i'm sure you can find a complete rear with a limited slip for about 700-1k on here and as for the front get the electric locker and be done with it.

i have a 11.5 rear out of my 05 that has a limited slip that has been up forsale for about a year and half but now debating building a 2wd reg cab short bed truck with it. i have a 6.7 motor just out side knoxville tn at a buddies house so i have a 5.9 that would go to that truck or be sold. but for the right price i'd sell it to you and bring it down to knoxville tn.

Last edited:
you really only need to get the limited slip out of a rear end not the whole axle i'm sure you can find a complete rear with a limited slip for about 700-1k on here and as for the front get the electric locker and be done with it.

i have a 11.5 rear out of my 05 that has a limited slip that has been up forsale for about a year and half but now debating building a 2wd reg cab short bed truck with it. i have a 6.7 motor just out side knoxville tn at a buddies house so i have a 5.9 that would go to that truck or be sold. but for the right price i'd sell it to you and bring it down to knoxville tn.

its cheaper to buy a different rear axle with the locker already in it and swap it out myself and sell mine VS. buying a locker and paying someone to install it... me personally am not much worried about the front because my truck doesnt really go hard core offroad... scared to scratch it... and my tranny is built but not billet so no 4x4 launches so still no point in a front locker for me... just rear...

Last edited by a moderator:
Your glove box should have an ID tag with the axle type, axle ratio, and if the rear diff has a factory traction aid

i got the print off from dodge on my vin also...probly on that.. trucks just at a buddies with th CP3 blown up in it... so cant look... but if the one above is the 10.5 then i got the 11.5... and ill check to see if it says anything about limited slip or anything...

and what about that damper?

AAM 11.5
Picture008.jpg

AAM 10.5
0701or_05_z+2006_dodge_ram_power_wagon+rear_axle.jpg

my 05 always locks posi but then I have a buddy that has a truck thats one wheel peel. Does make you wonder.

so you guys dont know what the website means by the pinion yoke damper either? wonder if it matters if you got a different axle anyway?

Mine has the AAM11.5 like yours and by my VIN number it states i have the limited slip diff, but i will still spin out one wheel. I talked to a driveline guy and he said the clutches are probably shot out. I changed the fluid and put in the limited slip additive and it helped a little. You have seen my dads truck and his diffs are just like ours and both of his always lock in. Its prob just the mileage on our trucks, dad has 40,000 and i have 207,000, Big difference lol. Im lookin at going with the auburn gear electronic locker for front and rear, is is a limited slip but can also be locked like a spool electronically.

Leading Manufacturer of Traction Enchancing Differentials & Planetary Drives - Auburn Gear

Back