'03 Ford crew cab 4x4 dually Cummins engine swap

Bullrack

Well my dually puked it's 4th 6.0 last night. Truck chassis only has 82K. I bought it new as one of the 1st 6.0's to hit the streets in late '02. It's lifted and everything is absolutely perfect....not even as much as a dent or scuffed paint anywhere. It's a great candidate for a Cummins swap. I cranked it last night to go to the store...when I shifted from 1st to 2nd, it let go. Was not running bad, no strange noises and been keeping good records from oil analysis. Actually thought the clutch had come apart at first because it was still running after the noises. I stopped and raised the hood to look around and that's when the rod went through the block. The first one dropped a lifter and took out the HPOP, the 2nd engine grenaded in the Ford dealership before me picking up. The 3rd engine had overhead problems too which broke the cam into 5 different pieces. I had just got back from a 700mi. trip last night and this truck was running great. Just can't trust these 6.0's anymore. The only one that gave any warning was the 1st one had a slight ticking noise for a couple of miles before coming apart. Looking for advise on which Cummins to use. Truck has a manual tranny and I had Ford install a solid flywheel when it was new. Steven.

Attachments

• _wsb_517x387_Side+Shot.jpg
    _wsb_517x387_Side+Shot.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 0
Think I might buy one of the 12v 500hp units already built from The Horsepower Shop. Shawn can supply everything from the clutch, flywheel, and adaptor to my ZF6 and a complete and seemingly quality build. He claims he can make me 500hp and +/- 1000lb./ft. torque. He also has the accellerator pedal from a gas burner F350 and cruise control servo. Complete and can make all my gauges work properly and he's willing to buy my 6.0 to cover my core charges. Sounds like my kind of deal.

12v is a really good option, it is less expensive, I have been collecting parts for my common rail swap and it has been expensive, autoworld motor mounts are awsome you need to take a look at them, expensive but they are very well built as is the alt bracket and the powersteering pump bracket, check them out at http://www.autoworldmt.com great to work with and they have the best parts hands down, they teamed up with destroked to make it a one stop buying place.

We recently have installed two 6.7's into manual 6.0 trucks and it has turned out really well, just finishing up one right now. Last one we dynoed and it did 450, stock motor with a Smarty.

I personally like cr's dues to them being quiet and more drivable then 12v's. But the 12v is a great motor and cheap to mod. Its all in what you want out of your truck.

Yeah, I hear you on the CR. I almost orderred one last week from a reman dealer, but finding all the other missing stuff is a problem. Also a little scared of the CR injector cracking problems. I'm coming from my 4th blown 6.0, don't need anymore problems. I'm kinda time sensitive on this engine deal and can buy a complete ready-to-run 12V that more than likely will outlast my truck.

Now, if BDP wants to quote a drop-in CR 5.9/6.7 or even the 12V, I'm open for suggestions. I almost called you the other day when my rod left a picture window in my block. I thought it had hydro-locked, but it didn't. Just broke the rod about an inch below the wrist pin. That shop I mentioned offerred to buy my 6.0 for core charges. Sounds like a fair deal. Steven.

Oh yeah Ryan, is there anything you need from my '03 before I start pulling it? Turbo.....FICM.....?

I have plenty of 6.0 parts here, seems like we some how end up with all these dang things when we yank them to put in a Cummins. I even tell them I have no use for it to buy it so that just give it to me lol.

The last two 6.7's we have done in a 6.0 stick shift came out around 18-19k total turn key and winds up up around 450hp.

I will shoot ya a pm with some other options.

Yeah Paul, I just can't see putting another crappy 6.0 back in a perfect truck. You know, I gave that engine platform every chance to be great, but it fell short all 4 times with different failures each and every time. I just can't see trying it again. I'm going with a 12V and it should be bulletproof. No more worrying every time I fire it up if I will be walking. Steven.

Head over to powerstrokenation.com and check out the swaps with the International DT360 in a truck or two. You can keep the inernational theme going and that motor looks way more built than a 5.9 cummins. Call hypermax up and talk to them about power options if you want some big HP too.

I know there is one local guy to me here in upstate NY that has a crew cab long bed dually F350 with the DT360 swapped in. Pretty sweet setup. Carson Stauffer did a lot of the machine work on it and has all the stuff made up already for the swap.

Hey Mike, where you out of? I'm just outside Binghamton. Just curious, cause we do a couple pig roast/tire roast days here at my place.
greg

Back