03 Needs New Turbo?

Twisted Shifter

Well I think after 153K miles I might need a new turbo for the truck. I started hearing a whistle every now and then the last few days. Tonight the whistle starts at about 7 psi and only gets louder with boost. I don't have any issues with abnormal EGT's and no excessive smoke. I have a fairly hot tune in it so I would see smoke if I wasn't making air.

So my questions are:

1 Do I need a new turbo or am I missing something?

2 If I need a new turbo, what turbo do I put on it?

I don't tow often and when I do its never more than 12K. Its a stick truck so it needs to behave well with a stick. I don't need to make stupid power, 400-500HP is all she needs and I don't want to chance lifting the stock head with bolts.

Thanks for the input.

Waste-gate at 40PSI, My preferred everyday driver Turbo 62/65/12 or 62/71/14.Also check for leaks (Air).

Check your shaft play. Axial is no good, a little radial is okay. I am betting you probably have a boost leak.

Tobin

Off subject but Twisted Shifter didn't you use to have a regular cab short bed 12V?

Check your shaft play. Axial is no good, a little radial is okay. I am betting you probably have a boost leak.

Tobin

Yup I'm with the boost leak!

It might be, I will check it all real good, usually with a boost leak your not gonna make 30-35 PSI at the plenum with a stock turbo and no smoke.

Off subject but Twisted Shifter didn't you use to have a regular cab short bed 12V?
I still have the 12V, its only purpose in life now is a race truck and well I haven't raced in a few years.

Do you have the means to pressurize the I/C and tubes with compressed air? Also look at the intake manifold plate gasket along with the 2 gaskets on the grid heater. If you have a boost guage, look at the line. I always leave Jimmy's off on his truck and it whistles pretty loud.

Tobin

Do you have the means to pressurize the I/C and tubes with compressed air? Also look at the intake manifold plate gasket along with the 2 gaskets on the grid heater. If you have a boost guage, look at the line. I always leave Jimmy's off on his truck and it whistles pretty loud.

Tobin

Yes and no, my compressor is 220 and I don't have a 220 line in the garage yet. I do have it some place I can take it when I get time. Once it cools off today I will get into it and check the turbo for shaft play etc.

I am leaning real hard towards a boost leak, and I think its a fairly small one, now just to find it. LOL

Well I think I found my problem. The connector boot off the turbo to the cold pipe is missing about a silver dollar of the interior skin and its blown threw in several places on the exterior. Now to find me a piece of silicon hose to see if thats my only issue.

Amazingly enough the turbo seems to be fairly tight for its age and hard miles.

Thank you to everyone who said boost leak! You forced me to not overlook the obvious!!

I really don't want to spend $85.00 on a Mr. Bob ........ But that looks cheap when the stealership wants $120.00 for stock replacement.

Back