03 Slow start/no top end after accident

hotrodcummins12

So I've hit a deer 2 weeks ago and got my truck back from the body shop last night with a new bumper, grill, drivers headlight, condenser, intercooler, radiator, and power steering fluid cooler. That was the extent of the damage. Ran fine last night, but was easy on it as I expected that the radiator might have air bubbles or the boots might not be tight on the intercooler. This morning with the engine cold and hot several times I have had about 10 seconds of crank time before startup. Also once I hit about 65 I have no more power and it seems to float out or sputter. Also under load in other gears. The accident did not touch the fuel system anywhere but I'm sure this is linked somehow. I did check the boot clamps on the intercooler, and they are tight. I'm not really sure where to start here. I am going to replace the fuel filter in case the shock of hitting something loosened the dirt in it. I also removed the bolt on the PRV and cranked it, seems ok, but it did actually start almost instantly when I did that. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, truck is stock except for an exhaust and Smarty on level 6.

If I was to not add in the wreck factor... I would say you have a bad/low supply fuel pressure, loose/worn connector tubes, high injector return rates, or a sticking FCA.

Check your lift pump pressure, connector tube torque (retourqe to 37 ft/lb if you can or just snug them if they are loose), check rail pressure at idle/going down road and swap in AJ own good FCA and PRV if you can

Just an update, I did replace the fuel filter and the problem persists. I've also flashed the ECM to Stock, same thing, then reloaded the Smarty to level 5. also want to note that if I rev it from idle it hardly wants to rev. Since this is an aftermarket Intercooler installed on the truck, could a boost leak cause a long crank on these electronic systems? I didn't see how it could but who knows. I'm trying to rule out all accident related possibilities first. It just seems to be strange timing for this to happen and i would like the insurance company to cover it if it was caused by the accident. Thanks!

As a bodyshop owner, I can tell you what steps we would take, first is it an insurance claim? If so contact the shop first and tell them what is happening, if it rad fine before the accident, and now it doesn't, its pretty much accident related. The insurance company will pay to fix it, but in saying that, if it has aftermarket stuff on it, you may be on your own.

Turns out the power wire for the security system broke off at the battery. I bought the truck with what I thought was an inactive security system. Apparently its still hooked up, though I can't activate it. Problem solved and I'm glad it was an easy fix!

Back