04 Cummins cutting out under load.

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Im working on a 2004 cummins that after running for about 10 minutes starts cutting out and bucking under load. I have it narrowed down to the injectors not firing by scoping bank 1 and 2 injector driver high side circuit at the injector and the are both dropping out at the same time. Anyone have any ideas or ran into this before?

I looked it over good but I didn't back probe at the ECM and check. I kinda ruled that out because they both dropped out at the same time

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I was just wondering as I had a somewhat similar issue before. I replaced an injector pigtail that went from the rocker box to the injector itself.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I was just wondering as I had a somewhat similar issue before. I replaced an injector pigtail that went from the rocker box to the injector itself.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Ok I ohmed them all and they were OK but that was on a cold engine. I should redo it when it's warmed up and acting up.

Mine acted normal until it got warm so it may not be a bad idea to do so. Good luck.

once had a truck that was kicking a bank 1 code (IIRC) and missing

ohming the solenoids everything was spec...

but on a brilliant hunch by a buddy of mine, hooked another injector to the #1 injector leads and fired the truck. the injector failed the ohm test once it was seeing rail pressure. just dumb luck that it happened to be the first one tested.

replaced the #1 and the truck was good to go

once had a truck that was kicking a bank 1 code (IIRC) and missing

ohming the solenoids everything was spec...

but on a brilliant hunch by a buddy of mine, hooked another injector to the #1 injector leads and fired the truck. the injector failed the ohm test once it was seeing rail pressure. just dumb luck that it happened to be the first one tested.

replaced the #1 and the truck was good to go
Wow, now I am really suspecting injectors, it's really the only thing that makes sense to act up after like 10 minutes of driving and then go away after it cools down. Does one that's shorting out pull down the whole bank?

yes, one shorting will kick a bank code

now, don't get me wrong, it could be the valve cover harness or something, just saying had a weird one that ended up being a bad solenoid, but it was a PITA to troubleshoot

Back