05 6.0 intermittent lope/miss at idle

c-hawk

Liberals Suck...
My uncle has a 05 6.0 with 126k on it. It randomly has a real bad miss at idle. It's usually up to normal operating temps when it does it. If you shut the truck off while it's loping and restart it immediately, it idles normal.

The check engine light isn't on. I scanned it with a friends SCT and it showed no DTC's.

Any ideas? Maybe EGR or injector porblems? I don't know much about these 6.0's. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

Sounds like a injector spool valve sticking. What kind of oil is he running? The rotella seems to be the oil that causes the most problems. Mobil or high quality synthetics seem the best. Sometimes just changing the oil is enough and sometimes it just keeps getting worse until it never goes away.

don said it well..most of the time a rough idle doesn't have anything to to with the EGR. Probably an injector..and also like don said Rotella seems to play hell on our HUEI injectors..

So it sounds like the place to start is with an oil change using something other then rotella. (i don't know what he runs now)

If it continues, what's the best way to diagnose it from there?

Thanks for the info.

Chris

see if anyone you knows own an auto ingenuity or equivalent and look at the injectors..that can tell you which on if any are not firing like they should.

Back