05 common rail rebuild need help please

97twinturbo

Just rebuilt my 05 cummins motor and am having major issues that r stumping me at the moment. Had machine shop check everything crank cam and bored block 20 over anyway went to start it and it fired right up but no oil pressure tapped throttle oil pressure went up to 45 and stayed there about 10 seconds the oil light came on and it dropped to 0 tapped throttle again it popped back to 45 then to 0 again. I have replaced the plunger and spring and cap in the oil filter housing and today put brand new cummins oil pump on. Still same problem. When u drive it it never drops or if u keep it at 1000 rpms it never drops. What the heck could be wrong everything is brand new anybody with some

Check the sensor and also check the pressure with another gauge. Make sure something isn't stuck in the sending unit.

Possible the oil galley plug blew out into the front cover causing loss of oil pressure.

Lavon

Lavon how do I check that I have front cover off now and would it run perfect oil pressure down the road if that plug blew out u can start it now and keep it at 1000 rpm and it will never drop only at idle.

If you really want to chase this down you are going to have to read the oil pressure from various spots. Start with a plug closest to the oil pump and work your way back. There is some part of that engine that is leaking oil at a good rate. Its only at this 1000rpm mark where you are pushing enough oil volume you build back pressure to the oil pressure sensor. If memory serves me correct they usually put pressure near end of the line where you want to know you have good pressure. my guess is you have an oil gallery plug that is loose, your connection from pump to main gallery is leaking, or if you have piston coolers, one might have gotten knocked off or not installed properly.

Just a few things to try out.

Thanks Nootch, i put all new piston coolers in but thats not saying somethings not wrong there, let me ask this i do have a fram oil filter on there could that be the problem i have heard some stories lately about the fram oil filter. Im gonna have them pull the pan and check the pickup tube make sure its sealed properly and not cracked.

Did you put the blue plastic plugs back in the oil holes under the main bearings in the block? Machine shops often remove them to clean the block, and they very rarely put them back in. The plugs block the oil passages for the original style cooling nozzles, before the j-jets started being used. If you leave the plugs out, you have a major internal oil leak.

Paul

wait a minute paul b the common rails aerent like the 12s and vp 24v's the squirters are in the block below the main bearings i think they are white there are no plugs in there. i put all new piston coolers in there the 6 that mount and have the metal tube off them. so am i understanding right the squirters under the main bearings aerent used anymore just the 6 mounted on the side of the block with the metal tube coming off them.

I've opened an OEM 05 CR that had both the squirters in the mains and the j style piston squirters. If there are not squirters in the main, you need to use the blue block off plugs.

Lavon

also, make sure you installed the torques head bolt where the suction tube mates the block... ive cracked the suction tube without knowing it using the 13mm head bolt for the stiffener plate.

And double check part number on bearings not just the box, I've seen misboxed bearings.

my block has the j jets and the old style jets under main bearings and they were not capped off so right now I have both and thats why its losing pressure evidentially the machine shop took them out and never put them back in. dang gone gonna have to pull it back out and install them. thanks allot guys you were a huge help.

yeah pulled pan and started taking pickup tube off and it fell apart was broke clear into dont know if i overtightened it or waht but it carries about 45 to 50 pounds now good to go lol i was about to pull my hair out, i have the j jets and the old style oil jets under the main caps so im shooting twice the oil on the pistons that should help tooo. i can tell you i had a fram filter on it and changed to a fleetguard and gained 8 psi oil pressure. Thanks everybody for the help on here

Back