05 CR makeing metal?

Not prone but moreso than a 12v & 24v.

2003 Dodge Puller
EFILive Conversion by Me

Early '07, 5.9 here. 126k on tear down and had what appeared to be copper shavings in the oil. Not a lot but they were there.
Motor pulled and tore down because of ring failure in #6 in case anyone was wondering.

Early 2006 with 175K on the clock, tore down because of ring failure on #1 and #6. # 6 rod bearing was worn to the point you could see copper.

288k and about 100 hooks. Tore down over winter and looked perfect. Always used rotella, brad Penn now.

2003 Dodge Puller
EFILive Conversion by Me

From what I pick out of the filter it's not magnetic and it is easy to bend and squash like lead. I've sent a oil sample away still waiting for the results to come back.
So first thing Monday I think I will pull the engine and look for the problem.

Working on a 03 in the shop right now that had a fram filter come apart and clog the cooling nozzle for #6.

Oh, brand of oil filter haven't heard of them. Brought the engine out of the states, was supposed to be a good thing blah blah blah any way got burnt time to fix it.

I despise fram filters... I wouldn't run them on a lawn mower. I would quit running It and wait on the oil sample. There is tons of information from a good sample.

80,000 km spun crank bearing dealer swaped a crate engine in at 416,000 km rings went couldn't keep oil in it pulled and put in another crate engine now at 750,000 km and it is goin through oil again that's the joys of a cr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

picture.php

Found these all on the top of the big ends. Sorry about the other post.

That is very odd. What oil and filter? I have two friends with CR's with over 200,000 miles with no issues, the one is a 500 hp twin turbo tow truck and the other is a 700 hp street truck....

I bought the engine second hand, no history. It had genuine filters on it though. They were the only soft metal bearings that were like that. The only soft metal bearing that I haven't looked at is the cam bearings. the top rings are all in spec the second rings are borderline and the oil ring are all alright. All the cylinders have no real sign of wear, there is cross hatch all the way down the bores. I've checked the crank journals for any odd marks and roundness.
The only thing I can think of is if the oil was turning acidic and started to attack those bearings. I noticed they were made in the states and the lower ones were made in England.

It's not unusual to have the bearing halfs from two different countries on a common rail.

The wear pattern that shows on the bearings is common on engines that have high cylinder pressures at low rpms. In the gasser world this usually comes from detonation. With a common rail to much advance with too low of an rpm will cause that. There are other things, but that is probably the most common.

Anti-freeze in the oil will cause a similar wear pattern, but usually number 1 main bearing shows it the worse.

Did you happen to notice if the long side of the rod was towards the cam shaft?

Paul

Back