05 cr motor freshen up?

ok this winter I am planning on pulling my motor and just having a "look see" to see how hard I have been on the internals of my puller. it is an 05 5.9 cummins. it currently has 5x12 injectors, floor it stage 4 pump, s471 turbo smarty tnt/r and dr. p custom pressure box, and thats about it. it puts down somewhere around 800-900hp and has 130k on it only about 3k on current setup and only went wild about 4k ago. before that it was a hot shot courier and well maintained. the plan this winter is to pull the motor and have a look at the bearings. thats all I am really concerned about as I am putting some serious power thru a stock bottom end. I have had the head off a couple times in the last few months and the pistons look great and the cylinder walls look great too. still see some crosshatch in them.
I am thinking of doing just the bare essentials as money is very tight. so replace bearings and possibly have them coated. and a cam swap to get this big single to light better. if I find anything wrong I will approach that then. but would you guys recommend just doing this or should I sell my soul to go for balancing and new rings. I heard new rings are like $70 a hole and if I am going to put a cam in it I cant really afford another 500 on rings and 500? on balancing. I just basically want to make sure this thing survives another year of sled pulling at 900-1000 hp.

If it was mine, I would do more then just bearings and a cam. If you have it that far apart you might as well go ahead and do it right. Here is a list of what you would be looking at...

Rehoned cyls $120
New rings $420
Coat stock pistons $360
main studs $??? (I think around $250)
24v or 12v rods (used) 150-$200
Balanced bottom end $200
main/rod bearings $200

That is $1750 worth of bottom end, which isnt bad at all for what you are getting. That is a cheap build list, but still way better than stock. If you cant afford the parts for a mild build like this, I would find a good block, crank, and pistons and build it as you can, until the one you have blows.

JMO

Ooowwwwww. My brain hurts from attempting to read post #1. Also, you do not have 900hp.

OK OK I spend ALOT of time reading numerous sites and have watched you brag how you are either best buds with Jags Diesel shop or you work for him or something so why the hell are you asking for build advice here? Ive watched you pull and you get stomped by 5?? HP VP trucks so there is no way in hell this side of dreamland that you are making 800 plus HP! Come back to reality dood! Seriously I read all of Homofarms stuff and you are about as high on drugs as he is with his claims. You dont seem to have a clue what it takes to be a dedicated puller so go find search and use it thoroughly next time. You have lost any and all credibility that I may have had in you!

LOL Yeah, I figured even 800hp is a stretch with those mods. Maybe somewhere around high 6XX maybe low low 7XXhp. I just figured he sprayed it to 800 or something...

post-12-49184-thisthreadrocks.jpg

LOL Yeah, I figured even 800hp is a stretch with those mods. Maybe somewhere around high 6XX maybe low low 7XXhp. I just figured he sprayed it to 800 or something...

My favorite part about this thread, its in the "Extreme" section. LOL

dyno7893.jpg

this is a buddy of mines truck with a very similar setup to mine. he has the same pump, my old (smaller) injectors and basically the same amount of tuning that I run. the advantage he has over me is his spools better because he has twins where I only have a single because of the pulling rules around here i cant have twins.

You do know that twins flow more air right? What was the correction factor? I wouldn't play the dyno racing game here, it will turn ugly.

OK OK I spend ALOT of time reading numerous sites and have watched you brag how you are either best buds with Jags Diesel shop or you work for him or something so why the hell are you asking for build advice here? Ive watched you pull and you get stomped by 5?? HP VP trucks so there is no way in hell this side of dreamland that you are making 800 plus HP! Come back to reality dood! Seriously I read all of Homofarms stuff and you are about as high on drugs as he is with his claims. You dont seem to have a clue what it takes to be a dedicated puller so go find search and use it thoroughly next time. You have lost any and all credibility that I may have had in you!

I do work for josh on the side, I am simply asking for some advice he wants to do a full rebuild but that just isn't in the budget. I am simply trying to get by for another year on my current setup. I have in the past gotten beat by kevin's 500 hp truck last year when I dynoed at 524 hp too. he had alot better setup truck than I did. now that is a different story. I don't think there has been one pull where he has beat me this year... ask him he is watching this too. he is actually the one who told me you guys were on here slamming away when I was away. I am not in dreamland my truck is easily making 800 hp probably higher. has it been on a dyno lately no thats why I said "making somewhere around 800-900hp" I don't know 100% what it is right now. but drews has been run lately with a very similar setup to mine and had 789.

this thread was asking for advice and input if you can't be a helpful member please refrain from posting your jibberish. you are not helping you are only slamming away on me for asking a question and giving a rough estimate on what my truck is putting out.

You do know that twins flow more air right? What was the correction factor? I wouldn't play the dyno racing game here, it will turn ugly.

I don't know call john at floor it diesel and ask him. I was not there that night. I am not trying to be a dick here I am simply stating what I know.
yes I do know his twins push more air than my single but they are pretty damn close. I wanna say he was getting about 45-50psi of boost on that run.

My favorite part about this thread, its in the "Extreme" section. LOL

there is no section for "normal" engine tech is there. I asked in this spot cause it is where most of the engine tech is weather it is extreme or not. is there some place else where it would fit in better?

I really am not trying to be a dink here I am simply asking where some of the best minds in the diesel game are at. yes I have a great resource right here with josh but his suggestion of doing a total rebuild like I said before just isn't in the budget. I have made a huge improvement between last year and this year with the help of josh and I don't have any plans of walking away from him we both have way too much invested in this truck as it is and I wouldn't do that to him. I would just like to get some input from you guys on what you would do. but keep in mind I am on a very tight budget. in about a month and a half I will be done with the truck for the winter and won't need it back up and running again til may next year. So I have some time to get some work done this winter.

there is no section for "normal" engine tech is there. I asked in this spot cause it is where most of the engine tech is weather it is extreme or not. is there some place else where it would fit in better?

Dodge competition and performance, even a sub forum of 03-07 third gen.

what do you mean by that?

Exactly what it says! This site is full of strong knowledge and you arent going to BS these guys with X truck running similar stuff and over bluffing the dyno sheet. Yes Drew has 789 HP but there is no way you are even close with a single especially on a stock lower end. And tuning is tuning....you either have the same or its totally different....no two trucks run the same! Since Josh is recommending a full build maybe you need to take that advice? Maybe he will sponsor you and cover labor if you can get a few bucks saved for parts. It is a long time until next season....

Back