05 duramax tranny build

csummers

i have an 05 duramax that i just limped in 5th gear..so im gona start looking into building the tranny, im looking at the ppe stage 5 kit with a converter...does any1 have anything good or bad to say about it, or does any1 have a recomendations for me?

and i read that the ppe kit comes with c1 threw c4 clutches,wouldnt i need c5 if i just slipped 5th?

i was also checking out the gmax kit,i just want a good reliable tranny i dont ever see my truck being over 500rwhp

if i buy a kit should a have a high performance shop install it or does it matter, i work for a car lot and our tranny guy does stock rebuilds on allisions all the time but hes never built 1 so i was considering using him.

just looking for some answers/help befor i go drop a large chuck of change on my tranny lol thanks in advance guys i appreciate any and all the help

PPE uses the old style Alto Red Eagle clutches which is what were used in the Suncoast Stage 4's.

Suncoast has the new redesigned GMAX stuff out now. The clutches were redesigned around the start of the year from the original GMAX stuff. The GMAX clutches are designed with the c3 oiling issue in mind.

my 2 brothers and I have ran a stage 5 ppe clutch kit and ml converter with no problems for bout 2 years.. and no you don't need c5s in my opinion at 500hp. c5s are first gear

Last edited:
thanks for the info whitetailaddict i appreciate it...and blue collar thats the exact set up i was looking at..who did you have build ur tranny? just a tranny shop or a high performance diesel shop? and i just figured c5 was 5th gear i dont kno much about transmissions

and how well do you like ur ml converter blue collar? ive heard good and bad about them

I had it done at a gm dealership.. they had a guy sent to Allison for classes.. I pulled the trans and took it to them.. I like the converter but I do see issues on lockup everynow and then but its taken my abuse so far.

1st gear = C1/C5, 2nd gear = C1/C4, 3rd gear = C1/C3, 4th gear = C1/C2, 5th gear = C2/C3 (if equipped 6th = C2/C4).

Last edited:
ok thanks whitetailaddict...so now my question is if c1 is part of 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th then why is it usually not replaced when you do a tranny build??

It's c5 that barely ever replaced not c1 and c5 is rare to go burn up because when it is used in 1st it's a very high gear ratio for a pretty large set of clutches, it's rare to replace c5s. Ppe is a good company I believe mike l developed there kit or at least helped so you know it has to be good. If you do upgraded alto clutches, a shift kit, billet converter, and pump shim you will be set I know a few guys with all those mods pushing pretty good power on twin turboed trucks with alot of luck and reliability. If the trans has a bunch of miles on it make sure to replace all bushings and needle bearings also

If you meant C5's, they are only used to hold the P3 to create first gear.

Edit - It was already covered.

Last edited:
sorry guys i dont kno what i was thinking..yes i meant c5 lol and ok strokethisf350 thanks for ur input! i am leaning towards the ppe stage 5 and a percision mike l converter,im just trying to find a good place to have it installed but i am going to look into the gmax kit a little more befor i decide

i kinda figured id have a bunch of ppl putting there $.02 on here, i was hoping for every1's pros and cons for there tranny builds

Just make sure you have a reputable shop do the build . Preferably someone with allison experience

ok thanks again and thats what im looking for right now i had a guy message ne on here and tell me about a place called firepunk diesel they build trannys and they just happen to be not to far from me so im checkin them out

PPE uses the old style Alto Red Eagle clutches which is what were used in the Suncoast Stage 4's.

Suncoast has the new redesigned GMAX stuff out now. The clutches were redesigned around the start of the year from the original GMAX stuff. The GMAX clutches are designed with the c3 oiling issue in mind.

The Alto Red Eagle clutches are being phased out. They will be obsolete by the end of the year for true performance builds. The Alto G2 and newest G3 material will be out and and The Raybestos GPZ material clutches and Suncoast carbonite c3/c4 frictions are top of the line right now. The Gmax stuff is on its way out too.

The Alto Red Eagle clutches are being phased out. They will be obsolete by the end of the year for true performance builds. The Alto G2 and newest G3 material will be out and and The Raybestos GPZ material clutches and Suncoast carbonite c3/c4 frictions are top of the line right now. The Gmax stuff is on its way out too.

That's good to know. Thanks Tim!

I knew the original GMAX stuff was on its way out. I didn't know of the new name for the Suncoast clutches.

thanks for the info iron-hyde sooo i take it the suncoast gmax kit is the way to go?

Look no further than Lavon Miller, (LAMiller on here), from Firepunk Diesel to do your Allison build.

firepunk

^^^ Lavon is your man. He did my trans and I have no complaints. He'll walk/talk you through everything, no mystery or magic involved. He knows how to dumb it down so you know what he's doing and why it benefits you

Back