.050 on piston?

dangerous06

diesel tech
Just pulled the head off a 5.9 and found these numbers on the pistons! .050
Obviously not STD but that's an odd number.Anybody familiar with this? I thought .040 was max for these engines? Any idea where I can get a head gasket also what is the thickest available!

Last edited:
ok next stupid question what happens if you use a standard head gasket on a .50 or .020 over engine?

The bore size don't change on the gasket. Just the thickness you can get them in std +.010 and .020

Head gaskets come in different bore sizes. I didn't know commonrail mls gaskets came in different thicknesses other than the cometic mls gaskets.

Head gaskets do come in overbore sizes, but we have and continue to run STD bore gaskets with success.

Not thick enough I think my machine shop screwed up my head! Gave him a head with a dropped valve he replaced the seat and milled the head but I'm not sure how much! Motor turns over but the piston looks like it comes right up to the head looking down at the injector hole with a light! Not even enough room for the Injector tip! Is this possible? I'm going to put and injector in loose and turn the motor looks like it may hit it!

Yeah your right duh! Wonder what I'm looking at? OPTICAL illusion! One beer to many LOL I'll look at it in the morning again!

Correction, they come in thick or thin.

Correction? Meaning I'm wrong, or you agree? Or... you meant to type correct?

3966343 thin overbore gaskets ISB CR
3966342 Thick Overbore ISB CR

Nozzle protrusion is how we determine the head gasket to use. There is a marine MLS gasket available that is thicker yet. (.059)

Last edited:
What's the part number for that marine one?! Better yet do you have one!
Thanks Andy

Correction? Meaning I'm wrong, or you agree? Or... you meant to type correct?

3966343 thin overbore gaskets ISB CR
3966342 Thick Overbore ISB CR

Nozzle protrusion is how we determine the head gasket to use. There is a marine MLS gasket available that is thicker yet. (.059)

Correction I was wrong in my earlier post. Definitely not calling you out haha. I knew the cummins mls gasket came in a thick or thin, but i thought it was depending on what you need for your piston protrusion.
The cometic mls gaskets come in .010, .020 exc thicker

Snedge, can you give me some more info on the marine mls gasket? My piston protrusion is .029 so I am using a modified 12 valve .020 thicker gasket I got from you guys. If I pop this one I'd rather run a mls gasket instead of I ringing my head for another 12 valve gasket.

Back