06 TDI shuts off, no power, blows smoke when taking off

06 DIESEL

Dead Eye Firearms LLC
So yesterday when I left work when taking off the car was extremely doggy, blowing clouds of smoke, and basically not running worth a **** unless I kept the RPMs up high. Got home, checked the air filter, it was a little dirty, not bad, but I took it out and took it for a test drive, drove a ton better, but threw a code on the way home.

This morning I go out to head to work and the car starts, then coughs and shuts off, try starting it again and getting up the RPMs it will start to climb then shut off again. Could not even get it to move more than about 5 feet or above 1200 RPM and it died again. Also noticed that on my way home last night and the one test drive, a total of 50 miles, I burned 1/4 tank of fuel. I had 400 Miles on the first half, now it has 450 and I only have 1/4 tank of fuel left.

I am picking up a fuel and air filter on my way home tonight, hoping that it will fix it. If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know, I am very limited on tools here though.

Car has 1299xx miles on it, I bought it at 89xxx on 4-28-11. Fuel filter was changed 14k ago, I change them every 20k, oil every 5k, its due for an oil change in 400 miles, so this weekend.

Last edited:
Their cars still run though, mine won't even run currently. I will finish reading that thread though, I saw it this morning when searching on there.

if you have a boost gauge hook one up and drive it and see what boost is it should be mid twenties. if not then you have a issue with electronic waste gate is messed up and that means whole turbo. Camshafts are a issue but you need to find out about boost first. can you get it scanned? does it say upper boost limit exceeded or anything like that?

The cam was checked when I did the timing belt at 100k, it was good, no wear at all. I do not have a boost gauge here with me, I have one for the car sitting in at my place in MD never got a chance to put it on before I moved to MO for 6 months for work. I have had a few people tell me it most likely is the charger because of laggy/runs good when higher in rpms. I do not have any way to check the codes here, unless I can get it to the dealer, which I hope it will run long enough to get there tonight.

Well I got it to run last night, unplugged the vacuum line on the actuator on the turbo. I can drive it, but it is naturally aspirated basically, no charger help at all. It is going to the closest guru on Monday, I am picking up a rental car today. I hate dropping it off with someone to fix, but I am kinda stuck here, and where the charger is located it would be a pain to work on. Besides when talking to this guy he thinks that the EGR is also fubared. He says that the EGR is needed, I suggested to delete it if it is shot. I need more opinions on it.

Back