07 5.9 Key fobs not working and no start

revolutiondsl

Cat buys my Cummins parts
Drove my mega cab (the one in my sig) to dinner and came back out and the key fob wouldn't unlock and the truck wouldn't start. Everything comes on when you turn the key on but the starter doesn't click or anything. Truck has new batteries and I tried both keys same thing. I'm guessing its a security feature or something happened. I haven't checked the codes yet because I had to go to work. Any ideas or anybody haad this happen?

I would think it would still start and only run for like ten seconds or so then die, at least that's what mine did when the battery in the fob died.

I have 2 sets of keys and they both do the same thing so I doubt its the key.

Sounds like the WCM is locked up. Try removing the IOD fuse in tipm and reinstalling it.

I have 2 sets of keys and they both do the same thing so I doubt its the key.

I agree should have put If it was the key at the front of that sentence. Pony kegger's probably right something to do with the WCM.
Is the security light on the dash flashing or solid when you try to start?

The IOD fuse is #11 I believe in the tipm on drivers side fender. It's the fuse in the white plastic keeper. It's clipped in and doesn't come out completely, just pull it out let it sit a minute or two and plug back in. It should reset the WCM module which is in the steering column that detect the transducer in the key.

If that doesn't work it could be the module itself.

Last edited:
It does not take long, ten seconds max. I dont wait that long sometimes when it is cold out and want the truck inside the building. What does it is static discharge from the key to the lock cyl.

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer will experience a no engine crank AND a no engine start condition. Also, the
remote keyless entry (RKE) system will not operate. This condition may be due to an
electrostatic discharge (ESD) from the ignition key into the Wireless Control Module
(WCM), causing the WCM to electronically lockup. This condition may occur more
frequently in dry and/or cold weather conditions where a sufficient electrostatic charge is
NUMBER: 08-007-08 REV. A
GROUP: Electrical
DATE: July 04, 2008
more easily produced. This condition is corrected by the replacement of the WCM.

DIAGNOSIS:
1. With the condition present (i.e. the vehicle in the no crank / no start condition), connect
the StarSCAN® scan tool to the vehicle.
2. Turn the ignition switch to the “ON” position, and power up the StarSCAN®.
3. If the WCM is electronically locked up, the StarSCAN® will display the WCM as being
“off bus”.
4. If the no crank / no start condition is present, and the WCM is “off bus”, then reset the
WCM by temporarily removing the IOD fuse (with the key out of the ignition switch),
wait for 10 seconds and then reinstall the IOD fuse.
5. With the IOD fuse reset having been performed, verify that the vehicle will now crank,
start, and run.
6. If the condition is temporarily corrected by performing the above steps, and if the part
number of the WCM is earlier than the part number of the WCM listed in the part
reference table in the Service Bulletin Parts Required Section below, then perform the
Repair Procedure

Yep makes sense I figured it was something to do with either the security or the key not being recognized.

I unhooked the batteries the first time I had a no crank situation. It didn't help.

Back