07 duramax over heat problem

lews930

NOT A DIESEL PRO
Not sure if in right spot but here goes

long time cummins owner and user of this site but friend has a late 2006 (titled 2007) duramax with allison tranny. Has over heat issues, truck wont pull a wheel barrow without over heating. If left idling the a/c quits blowing cold within 2-3 minutes but temp gauge doesnt go crazy.

Not sure where water pump is at but think it to be on the lower drivers side of the motor.

coolant is full

oil is clean so no head gasket issue. truck runs fine just over heats

help please

lewis

Last edited:
Have him check the coolant stack, radiator, intercooler and tranny cooler for trash and debris lodged between them.

Radiator in front of the truck behind grill. The other stuff is all stacked infront of it.

He's tried that and is able to see through all mentioned items. washed with high pressure hose as well.

any other ideas

I just fixed one the other day with the exact same problem. It turned out to be the water pump impeller had come loose from the shaft. New water pump, problem solved. Hope this helps, Gary

fan clutch works. I assume water pump is at bottom of motor on drivers side.

thanks for the help

If the impeller of gear came off the pump would'nt it quickly run hot and over heat. I would think the coolant would completely stop flowing?

A friend had a similar problem with his psd back a bit.. ended up being mud had mostly plugged the radiator but couldn't see it from the outside and had used a steam cleaner to wash it.. didn't overheat under normal everyday driving but only when he tried to tow it would overheat. thats why he didn't realize it was from the mud.. he had it to the dealer several times and for over a month before they figured it out..

Back