'07 Fuel in Engine Oil

Mat415

Hey guys,

A good friend of mine came over this afternoon. When he started his truck to leave, he asked if I smelled Diesel...I did. We looked under the hood for obvious stuff like leaking injector lines, fuel deliver lines, filter, and pump. Found nothing wrong. Then I pulled the dipstick and it was about an inch and a half over full of oil. My friend tells me that he just recently changed the oil and knows for a fact it was not over full when he completed the oil change. The oil has a distinct Diesel smell also. He also thinks it may have been a touch over full when he changed the oil last. The truck has about 100k miles...about 1000 miles since oil change.

So obviously it has it appears to have an internal leak. What is the most likely leaker? CP3, Injector, Crossover tube to injector connection?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

How does the truck run? Any hard starting or white smoke from tail pipe on cold start. Could be any of those things. Was anything else recently done to the truck other than oil change?

these trucks are easy to over fill takes long time for oil to drain in pan. Run a oil sample before throwing money at it.

Its easy to overfill by pouring 3 1 gallon jugs in and running out of oil to put in?

my money is on a cracked injector.

Thanks for all the ideas guys...until I have the broken part(s) in my hands, I'll gladly hear everything!!! All my posts are intended with respect (some of my posts make me sound like an a$$--which is not intentional). :doh:

The truck runs fine all in all. He's only had if for a couple months now. Bought it used, so the history is unknown. However, I did inspect the truck before he bought it and it had no tool marks on any fittings, sensors, bolts, etc on the engine (and I looked REALLY close).

Like all Cummins I have heard, it never has been perfectly smooth running, but nothing out of the ordinary. I'm sure if it had a hard start or white smoke issue, he'd have called me right then.

As far as the oil sample, the crank case and oil in it distinctly smells like Diesel. I am first to say that I am no Diesel expert...but something isn't right in there.

I know we are dealing with a few assumptions here, but this is the best info I have at this point in time.

If we are dealing with an injector issue, does anyone have a good outlet on a NEW injector? I've had holy heck with rebuilt units to date, lol. No need to go into that here though...

Thanks again guys! It's nice to come on here and find knowledgeable people who have dealt with issues like this before.

Definitely injectors, especially if he has never had them out.

It could be a number of things. Could be injectors, connector tubes or the cp3 seal. the most common I have seen is the injector. One way way we help find the problem is to pull the valve cover off and fire the truck up and bring it to about 1500 rpms and shut it off. Doing this will spike the rail pressure and most times you will see the fuel leak. that's just my .02

Thanks for all the responses guys!

I pulled the valve cover last night and noticed #1 injector has pipe wrench marks on it. I'm guessing that is just the start of what kind of mess we may find in the near future.

I guess we are going to change the oil first and then see if we can pin-point the injector(s) or other source of leaks. Thanks for the tip on spiking the rail pressure...that should really help accelerate the leak to a point where we can find it.

Friend of mine just had 3 injectors cracked in his 03 just pouring fuel in the crank case. Yours could be anything said above especially cp3 seal since it's an 07

Considering the mileage on the truck I wouldn't mess with just replacing one injector, the others won't be far behind. I went through the same crap with my '07 last year. $.02

Back