07 losing electrical power... random bad connection?

973604x4

aka landphil
So Friday night i start my truck to leave town. Let it idle for a few minutes....notice that the grids aren't functioning. Then I notice its like they are stuck on. Headlights are dim...dash lights dim, etc. Battery gauge was lower than usual but whatever I continued on....

30 min down the road "check gages" comes on. Battery gauge is now on the left side of the green. Make it 15 more miles and the gauge is touching red. Pull over, pop the hood. Wiggled the drivers side positive terminal, heard an arc, and suddenly full juice again. grids even cycled (it was low 30's) The terminals were tight, it took a lil force to get them to wiggle.

Drove 4.5 hours over the weekend, never happened again. I haven't touched the batteries since september.

I have been watching the grid cycles carefully. I noticed once that the whole truck would shake when the grids came on when idling after a stop at a burger joint. I have never seen a grid heater cause such a jolt.

Only code thrown was 2503...charging system low yada yada. The smarty read out for the code was jambled letters....all i could make out was charging sytem low.

Whats to blame?

Factory batteries getting old causing a bad connection? this truck was purchased when the 6.7's just hit the lot....so that was a long time ago

Is this a sign of a failing TIPM? I seem to recall a past thread about this being a first sign of a failing TIPM

Grid heater issue?

Other ideas?

TIA :Cheer:

I'd check the batteries. The guy that bought my 03 from me had some things similar to that happen and he had a dead battery.

Back