08-10 Fummins

joshcrimmins

How many guys out there have put a cummins in a previously 6.4 powered truck? I have an 2009 with a potentially sick 6.4 and was just curious how it went for you guys? I have a 12 valve on hand and I'm thinking of using the 5r with the factory pcm.

Wow nobody has put a cummins in a 2008-2010 ford? It sounds like these 6.4's are going to be worse than the 6.0's so this is surprising.

Plenty have...probably not many on this site. I believe Chris @ Snyder-Motorsports did one a while back in a F450.

Plenty have...probably not many on this site. I believe Chris @ Snyder-Motorsports did one a while back in a F450.

What are your thoughts on the 6.4 I just changed my fuel filters and the fuel looks like glitter. 128k and my oil sample also came back high in aluminum.

I have mixed feelings...mine only has 89k miles, biggest issue to date was the radiator leaking, now a Mishimoto is installed. The truck makes damn good power, but always makes me nervous when I read others horror stories. I'm ready to move to a different truck. My issue with a Cummins swap is unless you plan on keeping the truck long term, it won't be a wise investment.

We had 3 6.4 trucks in our fleet at one time. Repair costs and down time was 3 times that of cummins powered units with same or more miles. We now have zero powerstrokes in our fleet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I can ever get my trans tunes right I would be happy with mine... I may wind up buying my own delta force unit though for tuning

d25f225bb190d4021dc7ac852fb127ea.jpg

Sent from my flashscan v2

If I can ever get my trans tunes right I would be happy with mine... I may wind up buying my own delta force unit though for tuning

Are you using the Factory TCU or a standalone.

I have never heard anyone to have good luck with a cummins behind a 5r110. Seems like they are alawys having these little issues with it. Which is to bad as the 5r is a great transmission in stock fourm

To the OP plenty have done them and there not to bad todo but, like others have said thing long term as they typical dont have much resale.

I did a 12v in a Excursion using the 4r100. Other then some simple stuipd issues its been a great truck and I think if I were to sell it I would come out OK on the deal.

Just seen your picture and realized you have a 12v, biggest issue I have had with trans tuning is the 12v throttle pedal or TPS is rather worthless as you really need a rack travel sensor. I'm experment with a MAP based tune now for this reason.

Knowing how the 5r works this could make tuning very diffcult due to loads on the engine not alawys being the same based on TPS values

Last edited:
Factory PCM, Autoworld did the tunes, once the shift points are corrected it should do pretty decent. I am just afraid to beat on it too hard right now because it shifts at practically stock 6.4 points which are WAY over what my engine safely turns (only 60lb valve springs)

Thanks for the input.

Has anyone ever used the MCC tuning on the H&S to control shift points? I was reading on their website that it can maybe eliminate some fault codes too? I already have a mini max for my 6.4 so for $200 it might work well.

What are your thoughts on the 6.4 I just changed my fuel filters and the fuel looks like glitter. 128k and my oil sample also came back high in aluminum.

Just sent in a '09 F550 with 54k miles for shavings in fuel filter and no start after being serviced.. new HPFP, injectors, both fuel tanks, filter housings and lines cleaned, just a hair over 6k...

My buddy that works for ford said that they just randomly blow up too and if there is metal in the fuel trade it.

There are quite a few guys who have had good luck with the 5r behind a cummins.biggest thing I've heard is getting a rock solid tach.after that finding a good trans tuner and it's a done deal..I'm putting mine back together now swapped the zf6 out and put the 5r back in its place..

I just sent one out today! Destroked makes it stupid easy. The only challenge was the IC piping but most of that was because I chose to do the 2nd gen manifold with a S467 and dual CP3 kit.
2015-02-23%2017.34.59_zpsahnxzaxo.jpg

A buddy of mine did an 03 cr in a 6.0 excursion using the stock tcm. I've been bugging him to get a good tranny tune but it actually works pretty good with the stock 6.0 programming.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Factory PCM, Autoworld did the tunes, once the shift points are corrected it should do pretty decent. I am just afraid to beat on it too hard right now because it shifts at practically stock 6.4 points which are WAY over what my engine safely turns (only 60lb valve springs)

I can tune your TCM. Are you having the TCM take care of lockup duty as well?

I just sent one out today! Destroked makes it stupid easy. The only challenge was the IC piping but most of that was because I chose to do the 2nd gen manifold with a S467 and dual CP3 kit.
2015-02-23%2017.34.59_zpsahnxzaxo.jpg

What did you do for the trans?

I can tune your TCM. Are you having the TCM take care of lockup duty as well?

Part of my problem is unreliable tach signal. I am using a destroked bracket and tone wheel with a cummins crank sensor. It will randomly start bouncing around, lose lockup then straighten itself right back out. Very annoying when it acts up over 2k rpm.

I'd be very interested in someone else tuning the TCM though as the truck honestly has me quite frustrated

Sent from my flashscan v2

Back