08 Ford with 03 Commonrail 5.9

c_houchins8_182

]Long story short I cracked a piston in my 6.4 a few weeks ago. Contemplated just rebuilding the 6.4 but thought I'd do something much cooler instead. So last week I made the drive out to Palmyra, Nebraska to pick up some parts from Mr. Mark Nixon. Going to be running an 03 commonrail 5.9, NV5600, and 06 commonrail harness and ecm. Getting started on this here in a few weeks hopefully when I get my truck back from getting some body work done.

Blowby after I cracked the piston.

[ame="http://s958.photobucket.com/user/blacksmokejunkie/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150925_184610.jpg.html"]20150925_184610.jpg Photo by blacksmokejunkie | Photobucket[/ame]

The engine itself. Bought with a slight tick and when I pulled the head I saw that a few pistons had just barely been tapping the head. Nothing an oversize hg won't fix.

[ame="http://s958.photobucket.com/user/blacksmokejunkie/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20151005_170623.jpg.html"]20151005_170623.jpg Photo by blacksmokejunkie | Photobucket[/ame]

More pictures to come.

The brains of it
[ame="http://s958.photobucket.com/user/blacksmokejunkie/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20151005_170444.jpg.html"]20151005_170444.jpg Photo by blacksmokejunkie | Photobucket[/ame]

The trans. NV5600
[ame="http://s958.photobucket.com/user/blacksmokejunkie/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20151005_170516.jpg.html"]20151005_170516.jpg Photo by blacksmokejunkie | Photobucket[/ame]

Ecm and harness

That's gonna be a sweet truck! I thought about dropping a 5.9 or 6.7 in mine too when my 6.4 cracked a piston. I haven't made my mind up yet though so it's just sitting LOL Mine would definitely keep the 5R though. Why are you switching?

Adapter plates and custom flexplates are expensive. But the biggest reason is just staying away from electronics. Heard and seen way too many horror stories dealing with standalone controllers and such.

Why not let the factory pcm control the 5r? Hear it's getting easier..I'm doing it right now..swapping from zf6 to 5r..
I agree though it'll be a nice truck..keep pics and updates going..I like seeing peoples rigs..good luck on the build,wish I had an 08+ body.

Last edited:
I just go off of what I hear. I haven't been much into swaps in the past so I just go with the KISS method and I know manual transmissions don't require electronics. Lol I did get more parts ordered tonight though. Going with a fuel sump from Beans, and Destroked motor and pedal mounts. I seriously cannot wait to get started on this thing.

so why not a 12v?? just curious if you don't like electronics? I had my alt. sh!t the bed one night on way home from work, I had no dash, no headlights, no nothing but my 12v and zf6 got me to the parts house and back home under its own power..:)

so why not a 12v?? just curious if you don't like electronics? I had my alt. sh!t the bed one night on way home from work, I had no dash, no headlights, no nothing but my 12v and zf6 got me to the parts house and back home under its own power..:)

lol LED flashlight out window?

Too loud and noisy. Plus I want changeable tuning on the fly without having to get out and bust out the ol toolbox

I didn't think the motor was to loud at all..my trans was what was,driving me nuts.the growl or gear roll in the zf6 was crazy loud even with the thicker oil the put in them in the 08+ models..the sound on,the motor never really was a concern though..don't blame you for wanting a CR.my first plans were a 6.7 Allison combo and if I didn't have to be an,adult and buy furniture and appliances and move into a house I would've done just that..I'll be following the thread.keep updates alive..show the little stuff you did and had to work through.never know Who it might help,myself included

I have a CR/ZF6 in mine. It will nickle and dime you to death. It's coming out for a 12v.

Ordered some parts last night. Have engine mounts and pedal adapter coming from Destroked and a fuel sump from Bean's. Stole the Fass off of my old 2.5 puller too. The plan right now is to start on the truck Monday the 19th. Doing this swap with a lot of help from my good buddy Nick (turboram). He has the shop to accomodate such a project unlike mine with no lift and air tools. :doh: Found a set of head studs laying around that I had forgot about but was missing a few so I got those ordered today from Haisley's and checked out my "core" clutch I bought off of here a few months ago for a project that never happened. Turns out to be good and useable. Not as street friendly as originally hoping for being a DD ceramic lever style clutch but it cost me only a few hundred dollars. Plus at this rate I've contemplated pulling a few times next year in our local workstock class so it ought to do alright.

Sounds good. At least you don't have to deal with wiring the DBW with an 03. Or VATS I believe.

Motor mounts, pedal mounts, and fuel sump have all showed up. The sump is a sweet looking design. Can't wait to put it on.

Here you go Chris

The Turd
image_4.jpeg

The Mega Mini Pig Hauler!!!
image_3.jpeg

Pedal Mount
image_2.jpeg

Factory Ford Clutch Pedal
image_1.jpeg

Beans Sump
image.jpeg

Back