08 KW question

Hope you Pennsutucky rednecks never figure out you can cross that river. It's the only thing that saves Ohio from the KY rejects.:hehe:

:hehe: Oh yeah, that daggum river. If my horse could swim you'd have an ass whoopin' comin'.

1MM is the 3406E 15.8L 600hp 70pin, 5DS is the 40pin version.
Couldn't think of it on the crapper this morning and didn't follow up. I knew the one I had in mind started with a 1
I could do the 5ds but thought it was older

Last edited:
It has a label on the door that says 600hp.
Who makes good electronics to put on it for a bit better millage?

If it was in id get the serial numbers, whereis whst you want. On the truck or engine, thanks

Last edited:
If it has ever been worked on by a cat shop or dealer it was probably reflashed to a low nox file, that is the first thing that will kill mileage, the low boost will also cause lower mileage.

It has a label on the door that says 600hp.
Who makes good electronics to put on it for a bit better millage?

If it was in id get the serial numbers, whereis whst you want. On the truck or engine, thanks
Like Cody said chances are Cat messed it up for the previous owner with a nice complementary ecm reflash. Fix your boost leaks and get a good file in the ecm and you'll have a new truck.

How does a guy go about finding this file in the ecm? Your saying find a guy to reflash it rather than just add a piggy back computer?

Last edited:
Someone with a copy of caterpillar electronic technician can tell you what flash file it has.
The data tag with serial number can be in a couple of places, commonly it should be just below the #1 valve cover, but on that age engine I can't remember. They can also be on the oil cooler. It should also be in the lower rear area of the block, on the right side, behind the downpipe if the pipe turns down.

Last edited:
Thanks. Ya i remember seeing that tag on the drivers side of the engine up by cyl 1. I should have got a picture and will when its back in. It said 600 hp max and 15.8 liter among all the numbers and other data

Back