1/2 ton conversion tranny questions

Ether Man

The Racer Formerly Known as ConcreteBlockHead, who
ok guys my 1/2 ton conversion has started and i have already run into some bugs. first was i have a 97 truck and 96 motor and computer and wiring harness. i started installing the harness and one of the big 3 plugs on firewall driver side would not plug in so i am guessing i need a wiring harness from a 97 diesel, found one just haven't went to get it. 2nd, i have a 47re transmission out of a 98 2 wheel drive auto, on my 96 wiring harness i have the 9 pin plug, the neutral safety switch the vss i guess is what it is called and another plug that goes in the transfer case that probably read the speed to send to speedometer i am guessing. is there a difference from a 96 to 98 2 wheel drive 47re? do i need to find a 96 tranny or will my 98 work? i want everything to work on this truck. what about computer if i swap the 96 harness can i still use the computer? thanks for any insight.

FWIW, in my swap I used a 94 engine and trans and installed it in a 98 truck. When I purchased the 98 12v engine harness and ecm I also purchased the truck-side underhood harness (fuse box, wiring into the bottom of the dash, and all front clip accessory wiring). Other than swapping a few sensors and re-wiring my trans harness for the 47rh, it was all plug and play and everything on the truck functions like stock.

Well in my case I had a 96 motor and computer and harness but my tranny was out of a 98 and didn't have the sensor on the output shaft, so I got a output shaft case half and had them changed out to make all my plug ins work.

Good to hear you got it figured out. Did the diesel wiring harness cure the under-hood wiring issues? Pictures of the project truck? These trucks are a blast to drive and thoroughly anger unsuspecting muscle car owners :lolly:

Here is a couple.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325430271.988378.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325430271.988378.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 0
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325430303.812303.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325430303.812303.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 0
thanks, this truck only has 22k original miles and i stripped the gas stuff out and sold it and installed what should have been installed. i am sure the gas guys would kill me knowing i done that to an sst model in this shape but oh well!

thanks, this truck only has 22k original miles and i stripped the gas stuff out and sold it and installed what should have been installed. i am sure the gas guys would kill me knowing i done that to an sst model in this shape but oh well!

Did you get much money back for selling all the gas chit? I love clean trucks like this! feel free to post all or any pics you have.

Did you get much money back for selling all the gas chit? I love clean trucks like this! feel free to post all or any pics you have.

i thought i did ok, i got 1600 for the motor and tranny so i was happy with that and didn't have it sitting in the corner for a year or two. i will post some more when i get a chance.

Believe me when I say that this truck is the cleanest 2nd gen dodge I've ever seen in person. Interior, exterior, engine bay, etc. is absolutely spotless.

Wow Jimmy that things gonna be awesome! :bow: :rockwoot:

Thanks mark, just working on getting it finished. Does anybody know the size of the transmission case fittings? I am gonna run an aftermarket cooler and need to replace the fittings in the case. Thanks for all the compliments. Here is one more pic of the truck.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325536270.443869.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1325536270.443869.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 0
Are you gonna leave the chrome mirrors on it or change to the black plastic?
Looks awsome buddy

Thanks mark, just working on getting it finished. Does anybody know the size of the transmission case fittings? I am gonna run an aftermarket cooler and need to replace the fittings in the case. Thanks for all the compliments. Here is one more pic of the truck.

1/4npt I believe. What cooler are you going to use? I like using two fan cooled derales myself.

Last edited:
Not sure on the mirrors, thanks Amore. I have a BD cooler. I thought I read where the lines were a different size than 1/4 npt but I couldn't find it. Thanks for the reply.

Not sure on the mirrors, thanks Amore. I have a BD cooler. I thought I read where the lines were a different size than 1/4 npt but I couldn't find it. Thanks for the reply.

If it had the chrome mirrors on it orginally and power windows then the connector probably won't fit for plastic mirrors. I like chrome better anyways!

Sharp looking truck and they are a blast to drive. I don't remember what the threads were on mine but I ended up having to get two different fittings.

That thing will have a basketball ding in it in no time! Can't believe Reese ain't ran the Rzr into it yet.

Back