1/8th mile 12v truck

Lower

I have a 12v motor and i have a chevy snb chassis that i am going to marry together. I am thinking 1/8th mile is what I want to build the truck for and possibly later go for 1/4. Unshure on weight of the truck with the motor. Can a guy get away with running a turbo 400 tranny in stead of a dodge unit?
Thanks

it will not last with the torque your I-6's make... a 47re seems to hold up great when built properly

Yep. Toolmanoffroad has a TH400 behind his Cummins. His is lighter than you will be though.

I can build a dozen 400's for what it takes to build a 47 or 48 once. This is why i am thinking this route. The adapter is not cheap either but im just wanting to see what is available as I have to keep this within a budget.

Ah ya. Building it's not the issue, it's the strength of all the hard parts. Get in touch with Allan at Art Carr 325-698-6667 tell him Ryan sent you. "Min." upgrades should include; input/drum combo, inter. shaft, and thier big 36 element sprag. I broke a set of helical cut planets and ended up finding a set of straight cuts from a th475. They where used in extreme HD applications concrete trucks, etc..... they whine like no other in low and second and then it goes away in high when the whole assembly is turning together. The center support is a weak link at extreme torque levels but thier fixes for that also. Check out Rosslers site for that one
Ryan

WHat he said ^^^^^

Ryan is the king of killing TH400s, so he knows what it takes to get them built right ;)

I can build a dozen 400's for what it takes to build a 47 or 48 once. This is why i am thinking this route. The adapter is not cheap either but im just wanting to see what is available as I have to keep this within a budget.

How fast do you want to go? How much HP do you intend to make?

Stock 600 broke a lot of TH400's and he was running a fairly light weight Short Bed Chevy, but I don't think he really starting breaking major components until he got below 7 second ET's.

I think he recommended Art Carr because that's who went through all the growing pains with Ryan's build and I'm sure they learned a lot about building a cummins-tough transmission.

Stock 600 broke a lot of TH400's and he was running a fairly light weight Short Bed Chevy, but I don't think he really starting breaking major components until he got below 7 second ET's.

I think he recommended Art Carr because that's who went through all the growing pains with Ryan's build and I'm sure they learned a lot about building a cummins-tough transmission.

Kind of but...... most of my hard times were "trying" to make a Glide and 350 work. Sure I broke a few 400 parts when I first went to that unit but never broke a upgraded part. Broke an input shaft first trip out first pass, replaced it with the AC input/drum and interm. shaft at the same time, never hurt one since. After it quite breaking these I was in the 6.30 - 6.40 range, then one night on a 1.34 60' hit it broke the planets down track, since replacing them ... same thing no more failures; knock on wood. At that level the tranny held up for hunderds of passes and then at the 6teen/6.20 range the 9" 28 spline gear sets and pinions were the weak link, being hard headed and able to get gear sets for 50 bucks I broke like 5 sets before I ponied up for the expensive change to the Pro Gear stuff, then dozens of "Parts" free failure passes lead to beating up on the Ol chassis pretty good, I decided to cut some weight, this Should also help as insurance against parts failure, so far so good. The TH400 is a stout piece if the correct internals are used just like the guys do with all these other units, but regardless weight is the determining facture here. I felt it was well up to it at my power levels and 45/4600# but Id put a cap to it at much more weight than this. JMO
Ryan

you can find t475s in a lot of older motor homes with 454s in them.

Ya I had heard some of the bigger old motorhomes and some school bus had them but I had a hard time locating them, pretty common in old concrete/dump trucks.

Is there any big weight difference between a th400 and a 47rh diesel auto?

How about sizes of them both who's biggest and by how much??

Also, the TH475 came in bread trucks. Get one with the 4bt and you also get the adapter plate.

My old roommate scrapped 3 th475, I was a little upset, they came out of the 4bt bread truck combo.

Ah ya. Building it's not the issue, it's the strength of all the hard parts. Get in touch with Allan at Art Carr 325-698-6667 tell him Ryan sent you. "Min." upgrades should include; input/drum combo, inter. shaft, and thier big 36 element sprag. I broke a set of helical cut planets and ended up finding a set of straight cuts from a th475. They where used in extreme HD applications concrete trucks, etc..... they whine like no other in low and second and then it goes away in high when the whole assembly is turning together. The center support is a weak link at extreme torque levels but thier fixes for that also. Check out Rosslers site for that one
Ryan

Thank you for that bit of info I will check up on it.

The faster the better! Unshure on hp havent made my mind up on how far I can afford to go. I need to get the motor transplanted and the cage done so I will at least have a good idea on weight and how much cashflow is left.

are you planning on goin to ts by any chance? if so, ive gotta rebuildable 47rh and convertor id let go for cheap.

What rearend did stock600 run to be able to use a 3 spd transmission? I'm about to narrow a D80 and the lowest gear it can run is a 3.54. Or was it a 1/8th mile only truck?

Back