10.50 Index...

A friend of mine Karl Mireiter is putting on a race on June 22 and will be having a 10.5 index class in it. He also said they would have a Pro Street class depending on how many pro street trucks would show up. The race is the day after the Thunder In Muncie race so If anyone is up in the area for that it is about 3.5 hours from Muncie to Karl's race and would give you another chance to race your truck.

Thanks Bruce!

Sent with a Droid RAZR in one hand and 14,000 volts in the other.

At least the organizations seem to be open to change since the trucks are getting much faster and class sizes are up and down.

I think the reason for the 11.90 is/was you don't need a roll bar. That happens at 11.50 and NHRDA wanted to stay a bit away from that since at the time it was adopted most of the trucks didn't have a bar. Most all the 11.90 trucks have built engines and are capable of quicker times than 11.90. Most of them are still driven on the street and drive to the races with minimal chance of breaking. Price of racing goes up when it gets quicker than 11.50 due to the added safety requirements. The 11.90 class is super competitive and if you can't cut a good light you lose. Most races are over by the 60' line. If I had my druthers I'd say lower it to 10.90.

I have to agree with Moose, if there are a bunch of 10.50 capable trucks out there that are not racing due to feeling they don't fit in a class I'd be very surprised. Staying home because you don't like the rules isn't the way to get them changed. Come out, race either Superstreet or 11.90 or ask Randy to allow everyone who has the safety equipment but doesn't want to race SS to make a pass at full power to show him there are trucks that are capable of running the index (10.50 or 10.90). As I said earlier there are not enough trucks quicker than 11.90 that attend a lot of the races now, so making another class and further watering down the existing classes doesn't make much sense to me. You can say you want it, but you have to show it not just talk about it.

I personally doubt there are that many trucks that are capable of 10.50 and have the correct safety equipment that would come who are currently sitting on the sidelines. 10.50 is damn quick and very few of any of those trucks will be driven to the races and trailer queens are not cheap.

A friend of mine Karl Mireiter is putting on a race on June 22 and will be having a 10.5 index class in it. He also said they would have a Pro Street class depending on how many pro street trucks would show up. The race is the day after the Thunder In Muncie race so If anyone is up in the area for that it is about 3.5 hours from Muncie to Karl's race and would give you another chance to race your truck.

Karl is a great guy! I will be there!

My truck isnt fast enough for 10.50 index though.

Last edited:
I think the reason for the 11.90 is/was you don't need a roll bar. That happens at 11.50 and NHRDA wanted to stay a bit away from that since at the time it was adopted most of the trucks didn't have a bar. Most all the 11.90 trucks have built engines and are capable of quicker times than 11.90. Most of them are still driven on the street and drive to the races with minimal chance of breaking. Price of racing goes up when it gets quicker than 11.50 due to the added safety requirements. The 11.90 class is super competitive and if you can't cut a good light you lose. Most races are over by the 60' line. If I had my druthers I'd say lower it to 10.90.

I have to agree with Moose, if there are a bunch of 10.50 capable trucks out there that are not racing due to feeling they don't fit in a class I'd be very surprised. Staying home because you don't like the rules isn't the way to get them changed. Come out, race either Superstreet or 11.90 or ask Randy to allow everyone who has the safety equipment but doesn't want to race SS to make a pass at full power to show him there are trucks that are capable of running the index (10.50 or 10.90). As I said earlier there are not enough trucks quicker than 11.90 that attend a lot of the races now, so making another class and further watering down the existing classes doesn't make much sense to me. You can say you want it, but you have to show it not just talk about it.

I personally doubt there are that many trucks that are capable of 10.50 and have the correct safety equipment that would come who are currently sitting on the sidelines. 10.50 is damn quick and very few of any of those trucks will be driven to the races and trailer queens are not cheap.

Well Said!:rockwoot:

If ur truck runs sub 10s u should be in pro street running heads up. Anything slower than that should be in an index class. Super street is dumb lets run a mid 9 vs an 11 sec truck. Slower truck has to hope the other guy red lights or breaks. Just my .02

Sportsman, 11.50, 10.50, and pro street is how I think it should be. There are a lot of 11.50 trucks that end up running the 11.90 class because they can't compete in any other class. Sportsman is fine the way it is as well as pro street.

Sportsman, 11.50, 10.50, and pro street is how I think it should be. There are a lot of 11.50 trucks that end up running the 11.90 class because they can't compete in any other class. Sportsman is fine the way it is as well as pro street.

In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with an 11.50 capable truck running in the 11.90 class. In fact, there is nothing wrong with an 11.00 capable truck running in the 11.90 class.

As to why there is such a draw to 11.90, one reason is that the chassis doesn't matter. If you added a ladder bar setup, 4-link, or had a full custom rat rod, classic car with a motor swap, etc, 11.90 allows you to run. Super Street does not allow for the above chassis modifications. So what if you launch with less than peak boost and cut a 2.1 60' time and run 11.90 @ 130 MPH, just makes for an exciting finish when running a 4x4 that cut a 1.65 60' time and crosses at 11.90 @ 113 MPH.

I don't think it would matter if the index was 12.0, 11.5, or even 11.0, it would still be a fun class. Detuning a few tenths is no big deal. An in my opinion, if you want to win, you need to be able to run quicker than the index since 99% of these vehicles are not 100% reliable. That's why most of the winners have an adjustable tuning switch or small nitrous kit that can be enabled if there is spinning or a short shift that does not allow them to run the expected 11.90 tune-up. Hit the juice for a few seconds or turn up the tuning knob to make up for the mishap and hopefully you can fender-race to the finish line.....EXCITING

The more you go to races and learn about drag racing, the more you realize it's not about setting a new personal record every run and having the rules tailored so you can run all-out every pass. It's about consistency, contingency or back-up plans for the botched runs, short shifts, hot lapps, etc.

There are classes for all-out set the bar higher each pass, develop better racing technology, and develop durability: Super Street, Prostreet, Prostock, & Top Diesel. These classes will always be driven by the finances of the race team as far as ET Records, HP #'s etc.

The real beauty of the 10.5 class is that you don't need all the special safety stuff that you need to run in the 9's . As soon as you break that 10.00 bubble it cost you a bunch. I found that out this year first I upgraded my cage and got it certified , window net , electric shut off , fire suit , helmet and neck collar. Then the cost of a physical and getting your competition license. If your going to run Pro Street of Super Street and be competitive you have to do all this if your running a 10.5 index you don't, at least not to this extent. A roll bar , jacket and 5 point harness and your good.

The real beauty of the 10.5 class is that you don't need all the special safety stuff that you need to run in the 9's . As soon as you break that 10.00 bubble it cost you a bunch. I found that out this year first I upgraded my cage and got it certified , window net , electric shut off , fire suit , helmet and neck collar. Then the cost of a physical and getting your competition license. If your going to run Pro Street of Super Street and be competitive you have to do all this if your running a 10.5 index you don't, at least not to this extent. A roll bar , jacket and 5 point harness and your good.

Thanks for chiming in Bruce.

Sent with a Droid RAZR in one hand and 14,000 volts in the other.

Really good points!

This or 11:90, 10:50 pro street.

I know of 3 guys in Texas selling pro street trucks. I think if a 10:50 class were here today that most of that crowd would keep there trucks.

11.5 is just really close to that roll bar mark. 11.90 gives you more to play with for the guys who don't have a roll bar

In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with an 11.50 capable truck running in the 11.90 class. In fact, there is nothing wrong with an 11.00 capable truck running in the 11.90 class.

As to why there is such a draw to 11.90, one reason is that the chassis doesn't matter. If you added a ladder bar setup, 4-link, or had a full custom rat rod, classic car with a motor swap, etc, 11.90 allows you to run. Super Street does not allow for the above chassis modifications. So what if you launch with less than peak boost and cut a 2.1 60' time and run 11.90 @ 130 MPH, just makes for an exciting finish when running a 4x4 that cut a 1.65 60' time and crosses at 11.90 @ 113 MPH.

I don't think it would matter if the index was 12.0, 11.5, or even 11.0, it would still be a fun class. Detuning a few tenths is no big deal. An in my opinion, if you want to win, you need to be able to run quicker than the index since 99% of these vehicles are not 100% reliable. That's why most of the winners have an adjustable tuning switch or small nitrous kit that can be enabled if there is spinning or a short shift that does not allow them to run the expected 11.90 tune-up. Hit the juice for a few seconds or turn up the tuning knob to make up for the mishap and hopefully you can fender-race to the finish line.....EXCITING

The more you go to races and learn about drag racing, the more you realize it's not about setting a new personal record every run and having the rules tailored so you can run all-out every pass. It's about consistency, contingency or back-up plans for the botched runs, short shifts, hot lapps, etc.

There are classes for all-out set the bar higher each pass, develop better racing technology, and develop durability: Super Street, Prostreet, Prostock, & Top Diesel. These classes will always be driven by the finances of the race team as far as ET Records, HP #'s etc.

Excellent points great post!!

all i can say is redding was bs because more than half of why we drag race was taken away by running in one lane.. sure everyone had to run the same but it lost a lot of the competition in my opinion..
anyway if 10.50 to 10.90 class would be cool, index classes fill gaps, thats why nhra did that years ago, next will be a 9.90.. might as well follow these class settings so when nhra is around our trucks can be dialed in for their classes aswell..

Back