11 blade billet vs. 6 blade billet

I was told the same thing you were about them. We had a wheel so we weighed it, then thought hmmm, damn scale. Went and bought a new scale.........CRAP still not seeing it. Even bugged the friendly lady at the post office when picking up a package, after the "What the hell are those" look, the certified government scale.....same thing. Until we started to check some things out for ourselves we had been told things and even repeated them. Pretty humbling to have that reality hit you and see the info you trusted was based on nothing substantial. Things are a lot different now.

As for how our tests have gone. We have found some gains and as brought up earlier in this thread, the wheels we now run do present themselves as a different load on the turbine. The full gain of a compressor wheel change usually isn't discovered without correcting the turbine side.

66dyno.jpg

Here is an overlay of a few dyno runs. At first glance it looks as if there are some gains in the area below the peak on both runs. Both the red lines on the HP and torque curves are clearly above the blue lines. The lower TQ curve is a BP billet 66 wheel against the stock 66 Borg cast wheel, 74 turbine, T4 .91 Divided. The upper TQ curve is our new 66 against the the 66 Borg cast wheel, 74 turbine, T4 .91 Divided. The misleading part of the graph is that on the lower curve the Borg wheel is red and in the upper curve the Borg wheel is blue. There is a steady 100ft/lb loss in one curve and a steady 100ft/lb gain in the other. This wasn't rigged or configured to make us look Bad-ass, hell we lost peak HP in the long run. It does show that the HP and flow claims made in another billet wheel thread about a 66mm S300 using that wheel might not be as accurate as they were told since this is the dyno run they were referring too. Same with the weights posted in that thread as "facts". Sorry to be the bearer of bad news........your facts are incorrect.

We have done extensive testing on full bladed wheels vs conventional wheels. ALOT of factors go into this. Also 6 blade wheels are really 12 blades as the splitter is not being counted. Also the turbine side with the full bladed wheels is CRUCIAL. The full bladed wheels from the GTX's and ET-R's do flow a good bit more air, but if you do not address the turbine side, its a wash....PERIOD. Only if you address the turbine side A/R or even move up on turbine wheels will you see the large gains these wheels produce. That is the problem we have ran into with the S300 ET-R wheels....we have them flowing tons of air, but do not have a turbine wheel that can support the amount of air. To truly support the air, you move up into S400 turbine wheel territory. So we are going to have to back the wheels down on flow and test them with the turbines to get a happy median. Not as easy as it sounds....but that is the "easy button" explanation of it.

75cast.jpg

75BPBillet.jpg

Borg 75 and BP 75. 22 grams.......or 1.......no big deal among friends right?

Hope this answers your question Eric.

Last edited:
Our wheel is heavier, I made no exaggerated claims about it to anyone. If I make a lighter version I will state the weight. I weighed the two for Eric (Howling) because he was told 22 grams lighter, I disagreed.

Our wheel is heavier, I made no exaggerated claims about it to anyone. If I make a lighter version I will state the weight. I weighed the two for Eric (Howling) because he was told 22 grams lighter, I disagreed.

AH 10-4, Thanx Chris, just was wandering so i can try get a grap on things here! Acording to the scale you guys are lighter though!!!!! Whats the benifit of lighter, less shaft stress? quicker spool?

Last edited:
The 66 is lighter, but the our 75 is heavier. When you asked about the 75 I answered accordingly. Those are both benefits to a lighter wheel.

How did you guys shave 13g from your 66 compared to BP's wheel Chris?

Mitch, The wheel was designed as a group effort and in the end it came out at that weight. Weight wasn't even a factor in the design, when it was finished we weighed it and the results are above. To be honest making the wheel lighter is not hard its just a couple clicks in the modeling software. Its that "per square inch" thing when it comes to pressure, building more pressure is just more force on the blades and bodies. Harmonics are part of it too, Thin it up to make it lighter and those waves just hammer on them till they crack. Those factors keep the weight of it as less of a concern and move strength back to the forefront. Our goal was to correct the slumping torque and HP curves from the S366 dyno runs this past fall. Gaining as much back on those curves as the other wheel lost the goal was reached. More air sooner in the powerband without sacrificing top end or strength. These gains will make a bigger street charger drive smaller one with the same turbine side. Opening of the turbine side to help your top end can be made without as much loss down low. Those were the issues we targeted when we started this wheel.

Back