12 v timing

700rmk

Green Behind the Ears
Thought i would try to bump the timing on my puller,and dodnt have a dial indecater or light.if i were to spin the nut off make a mark on the gear and pump shaft,turn the pump clockwise a bit and make and other mark.How far should the marks be apart for say 5 * of timing???
thx

get a mark on your balancer for true top dead center get it about where you think it should be and ill check it for you with my light

or measure your ballancer and divide by 360 that will tell you how far aprat to make the marks on the balancer then all you need to do is get a indicator off the block and move it 5 marks

thats how i usually do it mark the balencer then move it to the next mark and then just check with the light

thanks guys, was trying to figer out way to do it with out any special tools,Jeremy your idea should work as long as the pump dont move on me.
Might have to give you a call on that light Ian
thanks agine guys

But they wont always work. if you have a custom pump you cant always use them to time because the cam lift has been changed or improved you have to use the balancer marks or timing light

i see that makes sence guess thats what i get for not knowing ha ha learn something new all the time

Thats the beauty of CompD you can learn something new here almost evey day

thanks guys, was trying to figer out way to do it with out any special tools,Jeremy your idea should work as long as the pump dont move on me.
Might have to give you a call on that light Ian
thanks agine guys

I do it like Jeremy does too using math, I pin the pump (knowing were it's timed) and go from there, I've used a dial indicator twice and have done it my way say 50 times.

Math: Dia x 3.1416 (pie) divided by 360.

Jim

I marked the balancer ,but didnt pin the pump i dont think it moved.I am sure its on here someware but anyone know the tq spec on the pump nut?
thx Norm

If you want to advance the timing your balencer needs to go counter clockwise. I torque the nut to 160ftlbs

Back