12 valve head studs

cumminslow

i am finishing my race motor and i want to hear your guys opinion on the head studs ,my block is fireringed , i am eliminating the arp 2000 series ,i am looking at arp 625 or hasleys 12 or 14 mm .i also hear that monster pump mike has some good studs.

I want to try Mike's. Does he make them for 12v's though?

he is making few sets in a few weeks ,i was told by mike ,he is working on the tall oanes that goes thru the rockers

Anyone on the two listed above? I wonder if they are the same. Just pushed the head off of my 12 valve yesterday so I'm looking for what's the best I can afford. Can't go the high dollar arp's but the two listed above are in my price range. Going to pull it today so I can get it to the machine shop monday. Any info is appreciated.

i have some used 625 12mm for sale. they are listed in dodge products

I saw those, just hate to give that much for studs. I'm kind of on a budget money wise but was thinking if the extreme studs were better that the standard arp it would be worth a few extra bucks. I see people giving both pros and cons against the standard arp studs. What about the A1's are they better than arps?

on a side note, did anyone see the prices on the turbos on that killer-turbos page. WOW

Has anyone tried studs from www.extreme-studs.com ?

I don't know anybody using Jeff's studs in a 5.9, but alot of tractor guys are having zero complaints. From what I hear they're comparible to the ARP 625's. This a guy local to my area, I've know him for years. Had the first twin turbo'd 7.3 I ever heard of.

He brought a 466 stud to our shop because his torque wrench wasn't big enough to break them. It broke at a little under 600 if I recall when the threads went dead. (In our vice attached to our giant 3/4 torque wrench.)

I wouldn't be afraid to put them in anything, we're gonna use them in the tractor we have going together. And I'll be putting a set in my truck whenever I stud it. Also he's a top notch machinist even though his marketing is a little strange.

And the killer turbo thing is a little strange. We've been giving him a ton of **** about the killerturbo page lol. Anyway those turbos have giant exaust housings that are basically an SDX spool flange built into the turbo. I buddy is running on of the HX 55 on a stock VP'ed daily driver and it runs great.

Last edited:
If they are comparable to 625's that's a really decent price. I'm going to call tomorrow, kind of wanting to get the truck running as soon as I can. I would like to lick it once and forget it. I appreciate info from someone that knows the guy, it helps alot.

Turbos in the tractor pulling work are unreal. Some of the Columbus diesel turbos are 10,000 a whack. Buddy said he saw one guy blow up two in two days. The low pressure turbo laying in there shop right now is a 5.6 inch inducer by almost 10 inch exducer. Frickin turbo weighs right at 200 lbs.

Last edited:
If they are comparable to 625's that's a really decent price. I'm going to call tomorrow, kind of wanting to get the truck running as soon as I can. I would like to lick it once and forget it. I appreciate info from someone that knows the guy, it helps alot.

Turbos in the tractor pulling work are unreal. Some of the Columbus diesel turbos are 10,000 a whack. Buddy said he saw one guy blow up two in two days. The low pressure turbo laying in there shop right now is a 5.6 inch inducer by almost 10 inch exducer. Frickin turbo weighs right at 200 lbs.

I'm just glad I finally had something useful to offer on this forum lol. Just to warn you Jeff can be a little goofy to talk to but is a very good machinist.

Called him this morning and ordered a set.Real nice guy to talk to and seems to know his stuff. He said he has a lot of them out in 12 valves with no problems. Jeff is pretty sure they are almost if not the same metal as the 625's. Told me he sells around 300 sets of studs a year in the tractor pulling world. I hope to have the truck running this weekend with the twins on it,do a few heat cycles and retorques then see if it will hold together.

I hope they work good for you and I am interested to hear any observations/results good or bad.

Yup, i run and sell his extreme studs. They works awesome. Holding 80psi on my rig with a stock hg.. The beauty of them is that they dont stretch like arps, requires a lot less torque to get the job done. From an installers point of view, its a no brainer to spend an extra hundred bucks vs arp 425's.

Blew the gasket on the 105 ft.lb torque. I don't blame it all on the torque, don't believe I used a good enough grease. Just got done putting the head back on today, used a high pressure moly with graphite assembly lube. This torque felt alot better, the nuts had no grab to them on any of the torque cycles. I took a chance and took them to 135 ft. lbs. of torque. Went back over them and probably 5 or 6 of them moved a little. Went over them a third time and got no movement out of them.

I like the way they install, no bottom tap and clear the valve covers. I'm going to run a few heat cycles this week and check the ones I can get the torque wrench on. If any of them move it would probably be wise to check them all. I just hate to tear the top of the motor apart if it's not needed.

DNR, do you do retorques when you use them and what torque are you running on them? Thanks

Back