12 Valve necessary upgrades.

scat

As i'm finishing up the suspension on my Powerwagon. I'm going to start digging into my motor to build it up. The truck is mostly a toy what i eventually will make a drag race truck out of. First off its a 98 12 valve with compounds I have on it now (62/73/.91 over 80/96/1.10)

Head: I already have it o-ringed. I want to have it ported but is it a bit overkill to cut the intake off and hog it out even more on the intake I still want some streetablity out of it. I have better springs and retainers sitting here for it. Then as for valves stock valves be suitable or would you recommend something upgraded.

Cam:I know this almost seems like a sore subject on this forum but every engine has one. lol I will be using a 5000rpm GSK so i dont have a clue what cams out there are even truly effective to make a power band in the 4500+rpm.

Pistons: I had read numinous threads on this and still my head hurts not knowing the "right choice" for my application. I have seen many about Marine pistons and Mahle VP pistons. Decompressing the motor down too? Some insight would be help a long way.

Rods: I have seen many people going the route of using "reconditioned rods" but would it be worth it in the long run just to bump up and get a set of billet rods. I know its a big price jump but i think the extra money would be insurance on the bottom end.

Bottom End: I will have everything balanced together once it comes. There are block stiffeners and girdles out there is there a main advantage one over the other? Is there anything else to do on the bottom end to beef it up? I know studs are a given.

I know im more then likely forgetting something. Advise is more then welcome on other parts i should look into.

depends on the power you are trying to build but stock rods with aftermarket bolts should hold just fine.

I wouldn't decompress the motor much if you are planning to drive on the street at all (I realize you say eventual drag truck). Decompressing is a good thing for allowing more air in the motor but off boost is miserable and smokey. I can notice a good amount of low end torque missing just from a 20 over head gasket. Does it work? Yes but it is bad enough that I am going to switch to a 10 over. Been fighting and trying to tune around the decompession for a year.

Back