12 valve shift light

97rada

I am curious if anyone has ever set a shift light up in a 12v? I want to use minimal parts and minimal funds to do so. I am having a hard time staging my 5 speed truck and staying consistent on a pro tee. Everything is just to fast. The shift light will help me get to the needed rpm to launch while I watch the tree.
Thanks
Austin

im in the same boat. i think u can just run a seperate mag pickup off ur balancer and tie it into ur tach. although i havent looked into it to much. i just put a little high viz flag on my tach at where i want to shift .

I run one off my crank trigger for my autometer tach. Works great.

I've done it too. I used a flywheel pickup from Dakota Digital PN DSL-1 and just a regular V8 Autometer Digital tech/shift light. Made a huge difference compared to watching the tach on the dash, trying to guess where 4800RPM's was supposed to be :lolly:

Did the same. What's funny is seeing the actual rpms at the fly wheel versuses the factory tach. The fly wheel is a lot faster to react and right on with the data logger

I run one off my crank trigger for my autometer tach. Works great.

Is that a whole tach and light or what? I was wanting to use the factory tach and a shift light. Truck is my tow truck that I have been doing dirt drags with

I've done it too. I used a flywheel pickup from Dakota Digital PN DSL-1 and just a regular V8 Autometer Digital tech/shift light. Made a huge difference compared to watching the tach on the dash, trying to guess where 4800RPM's was supposed to be :lolly:

Where does the flywheel pickup mount on the housing? Sounds about like what I need to try

Where does the flywheel pickup mount on the housing? Sounds about like what I need to try

I notched the aluminum adapter plate on the back of the engine and made the pickup into the inspection plate on the auto. Unfortunately the flywheel is exactly 1/2 covered by the adapter plate on the back of the engine and 1/2 covered by the transmission so they both need to be modified instead of one or the other. Dakota Digital also makes one that uses the w terminal on the alternator if you don't want to mess with cutting stuff.

so i got a weird issue. i got an autometer diesel tach with balancer pick up. i tried to piggy back my shift light onto the lead from that and when i do the shift light functions but the tach quits working.only thing i can come up with is the leads dont pack enough juice to power the tach and the light at the same time. any ideas?bponci how did u do urs?

yea thanks . im still wondering if u need 2 picks one for the tach and one for the light. mine des not seam to like running both of them of 1 balancer pickup.

Back