12v Bowls and Injectors

murphy41

How many of you guys with 155* bowls use the 155* pattern or stay with 145* pattern ? ANd whats the general concious on performance, do-or-will you see a better affect in swirl if you use 155's with 155 bowl or is it better to run 145* nozzles with the 155* bowls. Just trying to decide which style nozzle to go with, and not sure what pattern to use. How much timing will the 155 injectors let you go with 155 bowls ? Pistons are Mahle 286210.

From what I heard from another member, and he was told by smokem (Weston) I believe... Ma narrower pattern was better for torque numbers and the wider pattern is Better for higher HP #s. Don't quote me in that though. I'm sure somebody will know for sure and chime in.

I like to go fast

Thats what Ive been hearing as well. I'm just hoping to maybe get a little more details on it. And with only having the 286210's and not the ~64mm "Marine" bowls, how much timing I could get away with using without getting outside the bowl. Would like a tad more HP than Torque for the application. 2wd drag racing/weekend toy.

I'm currently at 28.5 with a 215 pump 145 sticks and 155 non ic bowls from what I've seen here 36 is viable I just need more transmission to go full fuel and more timing

This is 145* injectors running at 30* injection timing in a non-intercooled 286210 piston that I opened up on the lathe for my Junker Drag Truck.

It looks to me like I could run a few more degrees although the rods and block might not hold up.

HeadGasket5_zps6dd8b03c.jpg

Unmodified 286210 Piston:
286210-NC1stGen_zpse6155d52.jpg

Modified 286210 Piston:
Cut91Piston1_zps22bbe675.jpg

Thanks Will, thats some hard evidence having pictures. SO looks like I'll be looking for some 145* injectors. I plan on running in the 26-28* mark. Maybe higher if need be.

I am curious what kind of timing the 210 bowls can handle with 160* injectors. I may end up going to the 110s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking at Wills picture and depending on what pop pressure they have. A 155* injector set to 280-290 bar I would imaging would spray outside the bowl at 26-ish*. But thats a guess, lot of factors go into that.

Mine Are 160* I am liking the 110 bowls a lot better after seeing that picture

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im just curious about performance with the 286110's and them having a straight bowl with no lip, and how that affects swirl? Cause every other piston has a lip to the bowl. And its always got me to thinking. But I don't know enough about it.

Bowl design and injector interaction with that bowl intrigues me also - especially with the wide variety out there, but it is one topic I have found very, very little info on over the years

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I suspect some info can be inferred from the leading builders in the sport. I picked up a set of Scheid Arias pistons which are essentially Marine bowl pistons, figuring out the angle of Scheid's larger injectors would lead me to believe that's what they meant to be ran with them. Wouldn't make sense from a business standpoint to sell miss-matched parts.

I will get pictures of my pistons tomorrow and post them here. They're radically different (as I'm sure most of you know) than what came stock in our 12V's or even really most Marine piston bowls. My pistons are 14.5:1.

I will get pictures of my pistons tomorrow and post them here. They're radically different (as I'm sure most of you know) than what came stock in our 12V's or even really most Marine piston bowls. My pistons are 14.5:1.

Damn! You must have a pretty high stall and she must be a pig before the turbo(s)!

14.5:1 is not all that radical. By the time people use marine gaskets and remove bowl or flycut they're not far off.

14.5:1 is fairly common in 2.5/2.6 trucks, they're Scheid pistons built by Arias.

For every .100 Flycut drops the compression one full point. From 16:1 to 15:1.

As promised, here are the pictures of the piston bowl
IMG_26421_zps97102c31.jpg

Here is a picture of their identity
IMG_23221_zps8021337a.jpg

And finally here are the specs
IMG_05231_zpsa301415b.jpg

And another identification shot
IMG_18061_zpsbc19b444.jpg

(Sorry the images are sideways in the last two, I edited them quickly on the computer but I guess it did not save them as such)

Last edited:
Back