12V Cams

Beave

I'm kind of a big deal
Now i have been wondering this for a long time. Does a cam really help a 12V out in the power, and egt. I hear some people say that they love them and i have hear it really isnt worth the money and i should just spend my money on something else. So i just want to know. Is it worth the money.

To let you know I us my truck for a DD and i race when i get the chance.Dont tow but maybe 6 times a year.

giving up on your 7 piece cylindar head already:poke:

I was wondering the same thing. I stopped wondering and just ordered a helex 2 on friday. They say the power band is obvious on the dyno sheet. Some told me its good for 10-20hp, better turbo spooling etc. Guess will find out in the spring.

PM vendor Fletcher and inquire about his Diesel Pro's cams. They really wake up the oil burner.

Have you ever ran one of Fletchers cams?

Now....
That would REQUIRE RD to actually finish one of his projects that he gets all his free parts for and doesn't use.For now he is one of the best internet parts pimps and resident :cheer::cheer::cheer:.......Andy

I am going to be running a PDR cam this week, hopefully tommorrow for sure. I will let ya know how it spools and etc etc.

I have tried to get in contact with Diesel Pro's many times via phone and PM and never gotten a reply.

IMO The only cam I would run is from Hamilton Diesel or from Wicked Diesels but Wicked isn't putting non-billets out yet. I have spoke with Zach Hamilton many times and he has helped me out a lot! If this cam doesn't work out well enough I will get a replacement from him.

Give the dzlfarmboy (Brent) a call. I pm Fletcher twice never gave me a response. My business went somewhere else.

PM vendor Fletcher and inquire about his Diesel Pro's cams. They really wake up the oil burner.

I havent got a chance to PM him yet. I would really like to hear what he has to say. thznk you all for the help on this one. I would love to hear more from people out there running and aftermarket cam

Now....
That would REQUIRE RD to actually finish one of his projects that he gets all his free parts for and doesn't use.For now he is one of the best internet parts pimps and resident :cheer::cheer::cheer:.......Andy

LOL Thanks Andy for your vote of confidence. Yes I actually have my own Diesel Pro's Cam and to dispell your thinking it was PAID for.... :bang

I actually had my duallie engine built with the origonal cam, upon Diesel Pro's release of cams, both drop in and race, I talked indepth with Diesel Pro's and interrogated their proceedures. I came out with confidence that I placed my order and recently recieved my custom cam, I tore down this engine as I needed to provide my valves with some clearance. Obviously, I did not want a drop in cam, and opted for a custom tailored cam for my engine build. Once I get a danged chance to clearance my pistons on my Bridgeport, I will once again assemble this engine and slam it back in my duallie. Once again I am confident of its performance, I have heard the reports of the stringent testing, heard the reports back after folks installed their Diesel Pro's cams, and even heard reports from one whom ran both of two seperate companies cams' and there IS a noticeable difference with the Diesel Pro's over these other two.

I guess if you go looking for a Pure Bred Pit Bull and you settle on a mixed breed pug cause your in a rush-that's your perrogative......:hehe:

In light of the busy life at Diesel Pro's, things will be back to normal very soon. They are in the middle of erecting a new shop, building several engines and have been testing their soon to be relesed products and developing new products, a wild new 6.7 cam is one of them and a trick new valve spring pkg. and specially developed retainers and locks. Soon you will be able to get the complete Diesel Pro's Power Package. They do appologize for any inconvienences and a new contact number will be available. Calls will be returned and answered.

Last edited:
Well I got my cam in!

While I was there I bumped my timing from about 17* to 20.5* also.

The low-end is WAY stronger! It is getting the turbo singing full song about 250-300rpm's sooner and the actual spoolup is much smoother and more responsive. I dropped EGT's while cruising at 75mph about 100*-150*. And am now cruising at 1-2psi manifold pressure where before I had 0psi.

The turbo before wouldn't "hit" in 2nd gear until about 3k rpm's now it actually spools hard after about 2200rpm's in 2nd.

WOT turbo boost is 41-42psi where before it was 46-47psi (with clogged fuel filter). The egt's at WOT rise much slower, I can still get to 1500* but it is after I am in the triple-digits.

Smoke is down some from a decent smoke cloud to a thickish haze.

Overall I say it was definately worth the hassle of getting the gear pressed off/on and everything else. I was thinking very hard about getting rid of the S465 but now I don't see that happening!:rockwoot: I am going to try and get an equal length header on here and a intake horn like Joe Hellmann's asap and then I will not have any complaints at all!

Back