12v Compounds help

farmtruck09

Have seen tons of this stuff on here and every one has a different kit on the market so I got some questions???

12v build thus far: fly cut pistons, billet rods, valve springs, fire ring, 625 studs,5x18 injectors, 467.7/.91 ar nv4500 billet, with dd valair. pump is 191 dv 0 plate. truck smokes really bad I used the 467.7 off my 6.7 just to see but im wanting compounds.

Im on a t4 manifold from ats would like to keep the t4 and go 464/480. what are your experience with this. Compounds are not cheap so I want to do it right the first time. I tow farm equipment once a week or so bout 12,000lbs trailer loaded. Thanks

Going to s400/s400 compounds is not going to solve your smoke issues.

I think you need to re-evaluate your goals with your truck. A 12 valve will not be easily re-purposed from hotrod to towtruck.

Interested to see what you get for feedback, GF wants to pick up a camper soon and I need to figure out what else I need.

Mods:
Air:
HE351 62/64/9
BHT3B 76/76/26
3 Piece Manifold (DPS)

Other:
AFC Live Stage 2 with PDP full travel kit

Fuel:
4kGSK
TorkTek 060 OFV
AirDog 150, 45PSI
5x.018 Injectors (DAP)
024 DV's (PDP)
Rack plug

Engine:
60lb Valve Springs
.020 Over HG
O-Ring'd
ARP Studs
18* timing
Titanium Retainers and HD locks (Haisley)

Trans
DPC Triple, 150rpm below stock
2x Derale 15960 Coolers

Rear end:
Dana 70
3.54 Gears
Detroit Locker
Airbagit Drop Shackles
Rancho 9000XL Adjustable Shocks
LPW D70 Cover
Nitto Terra Grappler 33's

Gauges:
EGT
Fuel Pressure
Primary Boost
Total Boost
Trans Temp (Pan)
Oil Pressure at Filter

From your list:
Smaller towing twins, AFC Live would help a lot being able to tune on the fly. Not sure how Fire Rings do with towing often.

What goals do you have?

Interested to see what you get for feedback, GF wants to pick up a camper soon and I need to figure out what else I need.

Mods:
Air:
HE351 62/64/9
BHT3B 76/76/26
3 Piece Manifold (DPS)

Other:
AFC Live Stage 2 with PDP full travel kit

Fuel:
4kGSK
TorkTek 060 OFV
AirDog 150, 45PSI
5x.018 Injectors (DAP)
024 DV's (PDP)
Rack plug

Engine:
60lb Valve Springs
.020 Over HG
O-Ring'd
ARP Studs
18* timing
Titanium Retainers and HD locks (Haisley)

Trans
DPC Triple, 150rpm below stock
2x Derale 15960 Coolers

Rear end:
Dana 70
3.54 Gears
Detroit Locker
Airbagit Drop Shackles
Rancho 9000XL Adjustable Shocks
LPW D70 Cover
Nitto Terra Grappler 33's

Gauges:
EGT
Fuel Pressure
Primary Boost
Total Boost
Trans Temp (Pan)
Oil Pressure at Filter

From your list:
Smaller towing twins, AFC Live would help a lot being able to tune on the fly. Not sure how Fire Rings do with towing often.

What goals do you have?

You shouldn't need much more. Our trucks are almost identical setups, I have full internals, I just need my afe live to show up. I'm a s4 turbo fan so this is why I'm asking. Love the reliability of them. Someone's gotta run s400 s400 set up on here. ***My goals are a fun every day truck / weekend Warrior that will hook up to my farm trailer when needed and pull with out big heat. It don't have to spool at 1100 rpm lol but a decent set up would be nice. I made 658 with 467. So any where from 700-800 is obtainable I think with my fuel set up and some dialed afc tuning and nice twins.

Last edited:
For towing, I wouldn't go much bigger than a 62/68/12 secondary. Even with that, you can easily do 700s with a 75mm primary. A 75 or 76/87/1.10 would be sweet.

You simply aren't going to have the best of every world with a 12v. An S300 based secondary with the 68mm turbine and a wastegate (housing or e-gate) is your best bet. It will spool quick enough to tow and not melt it down and still allow you to make enough power.

If you are dead set on an S400 on the manifold we offer an S464 with a 0.80 AR exhaust housing. It works well as a single but in compounds you absolutely have to have an e-gate.

theres a lot of options and seems every shop has their own set up they like..stainless shows a 62-475 then above that 363-480, if I have to go to the smaller s300 I guess its what ill do. if this where my 6.7 id be all for the s400-s400 but seems only evil fab is saying go on that one. will keep you posted im ordering today for sure

ZFaylor is pretty well on point for what you need. If starting from scratch, get a manifold with external gate flange. S362 and a 476sxe would be my choice. Plumb gate piping into hot pipe.

You simply aren't going to have the best of every world with a 12v. An S300 based secondary with the 68mm turbine and a wastegate (housing or e-gate) is your best bet. It will spool quick enough to tow and not melt it down and still allow you to make enough power.

If you are dead set on an S400 on the manifold we offer an S464 with a 0.80 AR exhaust housing. It works well as a single but in compounds you absolutely have to have an e-gate.

I AGREE thanks for the input. im going to call you guys here in a few.

larger turbos, lower compression (flycuts) are gonna hurt your low RPM air and swirl. your rpm 'sweet spot' will be a bit higher than stock. if you have a cam even more so usually. the old mechanicals dont have all the electronic stuff to help compensate so youre usually way behind the turbo.
Only suggestion I can think of is if you absolutely need the truck to hotrod AND tow with low smoke, look into higher compression pistons (or lower the deck and pistons to bring up the bowls) or a supercharger in the mix.
An s300/s400 compound setup wont do both well it would be a big compromise. In the end it depends how much $$$ you want to throw at it.

Last edited:
larger turbos, lower compression (flycuts) are gonna hurt your low RPM air and swirl. your rpm 'sweet spot' will be a bit higher than stock. if you have a cam even more so usually. the old mechanicals dont have all the electronic stuff to help compensate so youre usually way behind the turbo.
Only suggestion I can think of is if you absolutely need the truck to hotrod AND tow with low smoke, look into higher compression pistons (or lower the deck and pistons to bring up the bowls) or a supercharger in the mix.
An s300/s400 compound setup wont do both well it would be a big compromise. In the end it depends how much $$$ you want to throw at it.

Is there even one strong running Cummins with a super charger along with turbo? I've seen a few on here but no numbers or proof, and never heard anything of them much after. If it worked to be worth it I'm sure there'd be more.

Is there even one strong running Cummins with a super charger along with turbo? I've seen a few on here but no numbers or proof, and never heard anything of them much after. If it worked to be worth it I'm sure there'd be more.
Brads ran hard, but he never really got to finish testing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

You shouldn't need much more. Our trucks are almost identical setups....

Anyone else think this is comical...the guy with 4 posts and asking us for help telling the guy with 40 posts he shouldn't need much more...

Some people just belong on Cummins forum...

Sorry, made me chuckle and had to be a d!ck...
Chris

Anyone else think this is comical...the guy with 4 posts and asking us for help telling the guy with 40 posts he shouldn't need much more...

Some people just belong on Cummins forum...

Sorry, made me chuckle and had to be a d!ck...
Chris

Why the hate? I've built many trucks just never a 12v, was the first diesel my dad had on the farm. Guess my 750 hp 6.7 done qualify me to be on this page. Lol thanks glad your jealous though go else where to hate

Why the hate? I've built many trucks just never a 12v, was the first diesel my dad had on the farm. Guess my 750 hp 6.7 done qualify me to be on this page. Lol thanks glad your jealous though go else where to hate

750hp isn't chit here... like literally.

People*

Like I said, it's nothing to brag about here.

Boy I thought the snow west sled forum was divas, what the hell happened to men on this planet? Haha seriously I gotta delete my membership, never seen such garbage haha

Back