12v g56

buck0000

Hey guys im lookin at gettin a 12v again. I am going to be using it for everyday drivng and heavy towing. Last load i pulled was 20k pounds. I was wondering if the g56 would be a good option for a swap? I have a 24v now with a 5600 and im not realy crazy bout the notchiness of the 5600 or the lack of part availability. So should i use the g56 or just stick with a 4500. Either way i plan on using a SBC 3600 DD clutch. Thanks for the help and advice in advance.

I have heard great things about the g56. If you make a case brace, and don't slam through the gears they handle towing with ease. They have been put in OTR trucks for awhile now.

Well HP wise i am wanting a 215hp pump. From there i was thinkin #0 plate ddp DV's and 100 or 150 hp injetors and either a turbo upgrade or twins. 3 piece manifold exhaust and intake, intake plenum
those are the upgrades i want but dont know what hp that equals and i may not do the delivery valves

Hope that awnsers ur question roachie. bye the way if that hottie in ur avatar is ur wife ur a lucky man lol

I put a g56 in my 12v back in 05 and haven't had a bit of trouble. I tow heavy all the time and my truck dynoed a little over 400hp. I had done 5600 swaps and when i bought an 05 with the g56 i loved the way it shifted plus i like the lower 6th gear for towing especially with the 3:55 in the 2nd gen trucks so i put one in my 97. The only thing you need to consider with the g56 is you will either need a 2 inch body lift or cut a piece off the tranny and beat the side of your floor hump in because the g56 is wider than the 5600 and the 2nd gen floor humps are not as wide as the 3rd gens. I did the body lift because mine had a flatbed and it actually looked better raising the cab 2 inches plus i wanted to run 285's. There's a few other small things you have to do but not a big deal. I think the g56 is better for towing because of the gear ratios and it also runs alot cooler and will not burn up the bearings like the 5600 is known for, but the g56 is a piece of crap if you sled pull or drag race with it.

Another option is to modify the trans crossmember to notch & lower the center of it an inch then the G56 will fit with without a body lift or pounding sheetmetal.

like this
truckrebuild127.jpg
[/IMG]

Back