12V lift pump supports good power

Jim Fulmer

Recently worked on a truck and the customer wanted to keep the stock lift pump as his supply. The trucks is a 94' regular cab 5 speed, stock bottom end, mildly ported head with studs and an O-ring, SPS 62, 5x14's.

He had a draw straw but wanted something better. He opted for a Beans sump, so installed it and ran a 1/2 supply line to the stock lift pump. From there is a 3/8th line to a Fleetguard filter housing then on to the injection pump with a 3/8th's.

This is the same type setup I ran on my 98' in day to day usage, but I used the stock pickup and was able to maintain 15 psi at say 500 hp so I knew this setup would work. His truck now idles at 40 psi and will maintain 30 psi at WOT at the top of 5th gear. Power is in the 500-525 area. Many people over the years have bashed the stock lift pumps, but I have continued to run them

The Fleetguard housing is Part No. 142784, here is a reference to it and filters to match depending on your needs. It has 1/2" pipe thread inlet and outlets. http://puredieselpower.com/products/fleetguard-142784s-fuel-filter-base-build-your-own-fuel-filter-setup.html and here is a quick reference of filters and their micron ratings I found.

Jim

Attachments

• 740663820547fd277143ad.pdf
    464.8 KB · Views: 0
And they don't crap out on you ever freaking year like an electric one too!!

Good info Jim! Too bad there's so few of us left that still love 12v's.
Chris

And they don't crap out on you ever freaking year like an electric one too!!

Good info Jim! Too bad there's so few of us left that still love 12v's.
Chris

I am going to add a stock or PDD modified lift pump to mine. I still love my 12v!

I made 736 14xx on a super flow with a Holley black knock off feeding stock lift pump all 1/2 line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great info Jim. Thanks.

Do you think the sump made enough difference to warrant going to it over the factory pickup?

Last edited:
I am going to add a stock or PDD modified lift pump to mine. I still love my 12v!

x2. Next time I need one, I'm going PDD. As long as my old stock cam still has a lobe, I'm going to keep using a mechanical pump. You can't beat the reliability!

I always ran a stock lift pump on my old beater 96. Removed overflow valve at the p pump and used an Aeromotive regulator on the return line. Idled at 55psi and never went below 40 in any gear, on the road. That was in 2006, when it dynoed 625 on Dunbar's rollers several times. Puny number for 2016, but it was good for my daily driver work truck ten years ago.

x2. Next time I need one, I'm going PDD. As long as my old stock cam still has a lobe, I'm going to keep using a mechanical pump. You can't beat the reliability!

Has anyone tried this pump out yet? I have yet to see anyone post good or bad about it.

We have one on the Junker, it will hold 40 psi at 700 HP, 25 ish psi at 725 HP and 15ish psi at 750HP. About 775 HP is thr most we've been able to make but it's not good running fuel psi down to zero.... in short, my 650cc's 12mm pump can pull it down to zero at full rack, but somewhere around 500 ccs, it maintains 40 psi.

Recently worked on a truck and the customer wanted to keep the stock lift pump as his supply. The trucks is a 94' regular cab 5 speed, stock bottom end, mildly ported head with studs and an O-ring, SPS 62, 5x14's.

He had a draw straw but wanted something better. He opted for a Beans sump, so installed it and ran a 1/2 supply line to the stock lift pump. From there is a 3/8th line to a Fleetguard filter housing then on to the injection pump with a 3/8th's.

This is the same type setup I ran on my 98' in day to day usage, but I used the stock pickup and was able to maintain 15 psi at say 500 hp so I knew this setup would work. His truck now idles at 40 psi and will maintain 30 psi at WOT at the top of 5th gear. Power is in the 500-525 area. Many people over the years have bashed the stock lift pumps, but I have continued to run them

The Fleetguard housing is Part No. 142784, here is a reference to it and filters to match depending on your needs. It has 1/2" pipe thread inlet and outlets. http://puredieselpower.com/products/fleetguard-142784s-fuel-filter-base-build-your-own-fuel-filter-setup.html and here is a quick reference of filters and their micron ratings I found.

Jim

Good stuff Jim. Thanks for sharing.

So I'm dropping a 12v into a tractor. Should I put two of these units on it? One 10plus micron before the lp and one say 2 micron before the ip?

So I'm dropping a 12v into a tractor. Should I put two of these units on it? One 10plus micron before the lp and one say 2 micron before the ip?

You'd have to get really creative to fit two since there's only one lobe on the cam for it and one hole in the block.
If you're doing big power, there's lots of options. Look into Waterman.

I think he is referring to filter housings. Most guys don't run 2 micron filters on p pumps, 10 is the norm.

96 3500 5x018 7mm dvs 62fmw

Lol ya filter housings is what I meant. So one filter housing between lift an injection pump should be good?

good stuff. pretty sure Im going to put my stock pump back on and feed it with my AD165? has anyone done that?

I built a system for a customer that runs the stock fuel system with an ad165 feeding the front port on the pump. Just on a toggle switch only runs when u need it holds 60-70 psi at wot. 160 pump with 5x18 and 7mm dv. Been running that for 4 years.

I was thinking of running both inline to the side port and just using the airdog as the filter but idk how that would work

I forgot to mention the 165 is feed from a sump. But I done Two lines in case the ad went out the manual pump don't have to pull through it.

Back