12v mechanical lift pump

Kronic_187

Mekanical injection junky
Are we limited as far as mech lift pumps are concerned?

Or has anyone tried retrofitting an after market chevy item... Ive ran several different electronic pump setups and all have last a few years then **** the bed...

Tired of having have a spare in the glove box as these$300 pumps arnt lasting or worth the headache anymore.

Ideas?

If you go through pumps on the regular, I'd venture to say there is something causing it I've only replaced one, on a 250k motor and as far as I know it was the original

Id say 6months to a year, ive replaced all my fuel lines 3 times, rewired 3/4 times.
Its sucking outta the tank thru a mesh prefilter and a 1/2" draw straw. Pushing thru a fuel water seperater and a fuel filter both rated for 12/15 gpm.... Even at 150gph thats not even close to restricting... Fuel pressure is set with a by-pass fuel reg mounted to the head rear of the afc.

6-9 months and its time for a new pump. Ive ran both aeromotive and fuel labs.... Its sickening

Id say 6months to a year, ive replaced all my fuel lines 3 times, rewired 3/4 times.
Its sucking outta the tank thru a mesh prefilter and a 1/2" draw straw. Pushing thru a fuel water seperater and a fuel filter both rated for 12/15 gpm.... Even at 150gph thats not even close to restricting... Fuel pressure is set with a by-pass fuel reg mounted to the head rear of the afc.

6-9 months and its time for a new pump. Ive ran both aeromotive and fuel labs.... Its sickening

I am suffering the same problem. New engine last year with an injection pump that seth did for me and I have put 5 lift pumps on it in a little over a year.

So I will be keeping an eye on this one. Seems like the best solution is an aftermarket electric set up.

Im killing electric pumps ^^^^

pressure set between 35-42 psi depending on the day....

all i can figure that is on street trucks they may last... running for maybe a few hours a time tops.

My truck runs for over 24hrs straight on some of my road trips... average consistent run time is 20hrs at the minimum on a drive from B.C to Manitoba... these pumps arnt getting hot, they just get weaker and weaker and weaker until they will not put out anything more then 10-15psi and eventually pop a fuse and crap out

Last edited:
Not sure if it'd work, but here's about what you'd be looking for.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rpu-1500

Close but no cigar. This is what you need, but it's a prototype. Never tested it. I may go open about it and get someone to test it. I have someone in mind who may want to test it.

This actually matches the cam lobe of the cummins. I designed it myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Soooooo, does it work? When do you plan on testing it buddy?

Also, I could easily have my cam lobe reground quite easily.

Soooooo, does it work? When do you plan on testing it buddy?

Idk yet, in theory it should. I contacted my tester and he is ready to try it. I bet you can easily guess who it is.

Re-grinding the cam lobe has nothin to do with making it work.

hope it works, I have never felt real comfortable about running an electric pump with so many failures happening. I am still on the stock cummins lift pump and it is in need of replacing. keep us posted, esp if you plan to make more

hope it works, I have never felt real comfortable about running an electric pump with so many failures happening. I am still on the stock cummins lift pump and it is in need of replacing. keep us posted, esp if you plan to make more

Yes, the plan is to make more.

If you need another stock pump I have a good one I'll send your way for cheap.

The Chevy ones don't line up perpendicular to the cam if I'm correct. That can't be fixed with a cam regrind.

This actually matches the cam lobe of the cummins. I designed it myself.

Pretty cool stuff! Are you planning on just selling the adapter so people can grab generic pumps for their application, or are you going to put them together like this?

I'm interested as well when you get this moving more.

The Chevy ones don't line up perpendicular to the cam if I'm correct. That can't be fixed with a cam regrind.

Pretty cool stuff! Are you planning on just selling the adapter so people can grab generic pumps for their application, or are you going to put them together like this?

I'm interested as well when you get this moving more.

Well I thought I would offer it both ways maybe. I'm hoping my tester might partner up with me on it and have some good ideas too. I've had this built now for about a year or two. Will Terry is going to test it out.

I'm very excited to see how this works. I don't trust electrical anything, I troubleshoot it for a living and see regular failures on even the most "reliable system".

This will sell like hotcakes. I always figured whoever did this would make a fortune.

This will sell like hotcakes. I always figured whoever did this would make a fortune.

x2. Especially for the guys who don't want to do jack **** and just want to bolt stuff on. You might want to get a kit together with some larger lines and what not if you want to market it to that group. I'm kind of excited about this though. No point in strapping something on the front when you can use the stock location!

Just make sure it will suck cold diesel (-20f) from 20ft away thru a 3/8 line. Brand new Cummins pump wouldnt do that.

Back