12v/nv4500 4x4 swap into my 2005 dodge ram 2wd 1500

jaybuller

USCG MK
Alright guys I have two trucks...one is a 94 dodge ram 2500 with a cummins, 5 speed 4x4 that has been rolled. The drivetrain is perfect but body is shot. So I want to swap over the entire drivetrain( including rear ends) into my 05 perfect body 1500 2wd ram. Do you guys see any major hurdles I'm gonna have to jump? Ill probly have to get the front axel brackets off of a 3rd gen 4x4 2500 I would imagine but other than that y'all see anything major?

I love my 05 dodge ram but hate the gas motor and auto tranny...plus being in northern mi sucks with a 2 wheel drive.
I would like to point out I can't sell my 05 and buy a 4x4 because I owe the bank way more than its worth.....

the hardest part ive ran into is the gauges i cannot find anything on it or anyone that is willing to help good luck

the guages should be easy enough...you kept the stock pcm right? if so you just need to use the stock gas motor bushings and adapt them to the cummins engine. every other guage will be the same except for the tach. to use the tack you need to use the stock sender from the gas motor if you can...its in the actual motor towards the back. take that and adapt it to the front of the cummins balancer. or you could just run with out the tach.

thanks have you done yours yet or are you working on it if so what alternator are you using?

i finisished a 04 2wd 4bt last year for my buddy. thats what it took to get the guages working properly. i did not use the tach though on his due to him only running a 3000 rpm spring in the governor. But that is what it would take. i also beleive dakoda digital also makes an adapter setup to work with your stock gas tach that would take the rpm reading off the alternator! I used the stock 4.7 alternator off the original motor and just made a braket to hang it out front with the rest of the assesories. i had to use the 6 rib belt but the 4bt pulleys worked fine even with the narrower belt.

With this swap the problem im going to have is incorperating the second gen front strait axel and suspention components to the 3rd gen 1500 2wd frame! everything else will be a piece of cake after all that is done with

was you able to just cut off all the wires you dont you in the harness like the injectors, old tranny and stuff like that or did you have to leave them and tie them back? do you have any pics of your buddies under the hood? im not trying to steal you post i just have alot of questions about it and nobody around me has any clue not even dodge... any help is greatly appreciated

and as far as not using the tach how did that work i thought dodges had to have a tach signal inorder for the alternator to charge what did you do to make it work

i left all the wires intact in the harness. you could cutthem off but i did not. i tied them up and tucked them away. as far as the alternator goes he actually took it to an backwoods alternator and starter repair place over in kalkaska and they made it so that it charges the battery strait off the one big red wire all the time if i remember correctly. but the stock wiring plug still plugged in how it normally would and the stock charging guage still worked as it should on the dash

Ok awesome I'm going to look into that I kinda wanted to use the cummins so I didn't have to build brackets but will see

the cummins will work just fine....thats just not how he wanted to go. you can also make the stock cummins alternator constant charge off one wire.... and you can still hook your stock alt guage to it no problem... This next one im staying with the stock cummins alt. all the shop over here charges to convert it to constant charge is 35 bucks so it is worth it to me. they also through new bearings in it if you want them too..

Huh I'm definitely going to look into it do you know. How that tach thing works if u hook I to the alternator I'm going to look into it too the one I think will work is only 65 dollars it would be nice to get it working

Back