12v piston taper

97crewcab

Wrong.
I see that enterprise engine sells tapered pistons for 12v. HERE
After talking with them they say that they don't taper 24v pistons?

After a search I found a couple people mention that their pistons purchased elsewhere were tapered also. Haisley, etc.

How far is the piston is tapered and by how much?
Do you set up a tapered piston with the same cylinder wall clearance as a non tapered piston?

Generally taper from the top down to the first ring land. If I remember correctly I believe it is a 4* taper.

The 24v piston is recessed above the top ring, most of the pistons used in 12v performance applications are not.

Needless machining, stress riser, bowl heating, crevice volume, decompression, #1 ring gas impingement, anomalous expansion, etc..

Sorry 'bout my niave question, I'm new to diesel from gasoline...
Maybe I'm misunderstanding and google isn't much help, but as I understood the question above, I interpreted a slight taper on the side of the piston from the top compression ring to the face (4-5 degrees maybe?) This, as opposed to simply straight cutting the upper side of the piston at the same smaller diameter as the taper would yield at the top...
I fully understand and agree with the notion of increased impingment on the top compression ring and the increased heat from combustion down between the piston and cylinder walls, but I don't fully understand the response about less machining. Woudn't the piston need to be precisely machined either way? Whether it's a straight lathe cut or a cut on a taper wouldn't make much difference at all to the manufacturing or reworking process. Could you also please explain how the machining on the side of the piston would affect the bowl temperatures with straight vs. tapered?
Thanks for your patience as I convert from gas.

Back