12V Pricing?

Big Block 88

Midwest Monsters
Hey guys I am currently overseas but should be returning here this fall. I am plannin my 1988 Chevy C3500 Cummins swap. I have been lookin at ebay for some good motors, and I see some. DO you think that will be the cheapest route? Should I have my truck dealer hit some auctions for complete donor trucks? I know I will be doing a NV4500, as I don't beleive my SM465 would be worth a hoot behind a diesel with only 4 gears. I am open to all suggestions, I am just ready to retire my old 454, I would be selling my 454 engine and SM 465 for what ever they are worth. I am doin this on a pretty strict budget, I would love to deal with someone on here for a motor when I get home. Thanks fellas

I would try to find a 5spd doner truck they are getting cheap i would try to keep the purchase price under 2000. dollars and no more than 200,000 miles on it. Rich

Thanks man, I think I am just gonna have my dealer hit some auctions and look for a cheap donor dodge, like you said

I cant remember is your truck 2wd or 4wd? I say if your on a budget scrap the donor idea, its cheaper to source the parts seperately in my opinion. I paid $1600 for a 96 12v with a 180 pump on here BTW

I have also thought of that, but then I would have to get an NV4500 also, I am pretty sure my SM465 will not be fun with a cummins narrow power band.

My truck is a 2 wheeler, for now, i do have a dana 60 sittin in the shop though. So I am throwin the SFA into the thought bin also.

No I would definetely go the nv4500 route, Im just saying if you do it right and your not in a huge hurry its easier to get the parts seperately as there isnt much from the dodge you'll use anyways. At most engine, trans, radiator and intercooler. 2wd drive NV4500 go pretty cheap. Whether it be Chevy or Dodge NV4500 a 4wd NV4500/T-case combo will obviously go for more and be harder to source and in that case you may be better off with a donor truck. But if you are leaving it 2wd, I would definely get part by part.

Thanks Nick, I'm just gtting an itchy trigger finger, I have the money to get the goods, I am just to far away right now. I know there is no rush, as the project won't start tell this winter. All you guys posting your progress aren't makin this easy on me.

Also if there is an extra dodge layin around the shop I have an extra 454 I may put in it just to piss people off.

Also if there is an extra dodge layin around the shop I have an extra 454 I may put in it just to piss people off.
LOLLOLLOL I tell people I have a Chevy with a Dodge engine and they look at me like I have 3 heads then I tell them its a Cummins and sudenly its really cool. Rich

Z79outlaw is right dont overlook the individual parts as well .In my case I paid 500.00 for a 5speed 4x4 with just over 100'000 miles on it then traded the 5speed trans and transfer case for a 94 auto 2wd truck I ended up with an extra engine and by the time I sold the extra parts I ended up way ahead. The extra engine ended up in the 89 . I know I was very fortunate and that kind of deal does not come along every day . I have found that companys sell them cheaper than a private owner., The important thing is to get the word out that you are looking and use all available resources. Rich

Thanks Rich, I have been checkin online for some auctions around my home town. I could always just send a buddy to go pic up the donor truck for me while I am over here.

Try and find a wrecked truck is possible. A buddy picked on up, wasn't even wrecked, had parts scavenged off of it for a different vehicle. 94 truck 5 spd 2wd was $1k. He found a 95 auto 4x4 for a very similar price to that. I'd look for a donor vehicle myself. Always stuff you can rob off of it that might come in handy later, and if the axles are any good still, sell those to recoup some money. D80's fetch some decent coin.

Is there a site where you can find salvage trucks for sale? It seems I used to see them all the time on Ebay, but now not so much.

I've been killin Craigslist and Ebay. I found a donor truck a 93 dodge, but I think the guy was not to happy with my offer.

I would stick to a 94-early 98 with the Ppump but it just depends on whats out there and the price.
Rich

Honestly I could care less if it was a VE truck, only do to the fact of what the truck is used for. Here is a pic of the old girl gettin a new heart. I know I want an intercooled motor, other than that I am only after 300-350 RWHP.

Attachments

• user647_pic1433_1211815081.jpg
    user647_pic1433_1211815081.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 28
Sweet truck I think it would be AWESOME with about 650 RWHP:poke: :evil

maybe some day, if I end up with a P-pump then cool if not I think a VE would work fine for now atleast. Anyone want a 454 with 300K+ miles on it :)

Back