12v Rebuild ideas

oilburner23

So my 7.3l in my 94 f350 has burnt/broken rings and scored cylinder walls so I got myself a 1st gen (1992) 5.9l 12v. I picked it up for 500 bucks and the guy put a brand new turbo on it but it was missing the fuel pump. I still need one and was wondering if a 2nd gen P pump would work or if there were any upgrades that would apply that I should make while I'm dropping cash on it. I'm a ford guy just getting into cummins so a little help would go a log way. I'm looking for some good solid engine upgrades to do while I'm ripping this thing apart and rebuilding it but nothing excessive so I'm all ears. Thanks

It's the fuel injector pump I'm missing. Along w a bunch of other parts haha
Alternator & bracket
Oil fill funnel
Fuel injection pump
Fan
Water inlet connection
Starter
Power steering pump
A/C Compressor

A lot of things need to be switched out in order to P pump it... lines, timing cover, pump gear etc... use the search button, you'll find a lot about it.

I'm just gonna try and stick w the VE. But I think I'm gonna bore the block 20 over new govenor spring kit, fuel pin, maybe injectors. Just lookin for some good ideas that aren't over the top

I'm just gonna try and stick w the VE. But I think I'm gonna bore the block 20 over new govenor spring kit, fuel pin, maybe injectors. Just lookin for some good ideas that aren't over the top

Don't waste the coin boring it .20 over if you don't have to unless you've already made up your mind to buy different pistons.

would it be worth it ya think to go 40 over and new mahle pistons. I was also thinking about porting the head and exhaust instead but i dont know which would be the way to go with a cummins.

would it be worth it ya think to go 40 over and new mahle pistons. I was also thinking about porting the head and exhaust instead but i dont know which would be the way to go with a cummins.

If you're not trying to go over the top, don't bore it or spend the coin on new pistons unless you have to. You can make all the power that VE will make with a stock long block.

Really? I've read the opposite. Sorry for the bad information then.

Port matching with no extensive bowl work is a waste and shows little to no gain. I almost had mine done by a shop that does that but i went with someone who knows how to port and did a phenomenal job.

Why are you rebuilding it? Does it still has cross hatching in the cylinders and pass a compression test? If it does just throw a new head gasket on it (if you already took the head off) and a set of rod and main bearings. What are your goals for this build anyway?

The guy I bought it from said it had blow by when he pulled it and it had about 200k on it. I want to make sure it's 110% before I put it in my truck so I won't every have to pull it. The guy said it wasn't terrible but was apparent. My concern is that the bottom of the cylinders are bell shaping out at the bottom of the cylinders. Haven't pulled the head yet so I can't see if there's still cross hatching in the cylinders.

Last edited:
Plug the inlet to the vacuum pump or take it off. A broken vacuum line will make it look like it has blow by. I thought my engine was doomed until I read up on the vacuum system.

Will do. Also considering rehearing from the stock gears. What has worked best for you guys?

Your thinking like a gasser, get that out of your head.

For power all you need to worry about right now is air and fuel. Get a fuel pin and gov spring for the VE after you rebuild the engine. Get with Jeff at Muama Diesel, he will get you the best price on Cummins parts.

After that, buy some nice injectors and start looking for an upgraded turbo. All this granted the trans will hold it...

Heres a pump...
http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158459

I someone snatched the pump before I could so I bought a complete 95 2nd gen and sold the 1st gen. I bought some 90hp injectors. The engine is good to go and I don't need to rebuild it I'm just going to dump it in my OBS. Completely different fuel injection system. P-pump and I'm not as familiar with it as the VE. Any good ideas for mods for this motor that don't require an overhaul?

Back