12V rod clarification

StuckinMud

Absolutely Clueless....
Ok guys..
It seems the rod of choice (other than cu$tom Billet rod$) is to use the 12v/24v brazil rod.

However it has also been said to never use a rod with an oiling hole on the small end in a motor spinning above 2500 rpm. These rods have them.

So whats the real story here..do I continue with my brazil rods or mortgage the house for something else?

Ok guys..
It seems the rod of choice (other than cu$tom Billet rod$) is to use the 12v/24v brazil rod.

However it has also been said to never use a rod with an oiling hole on the small end in a motor spinning above 2500 rpm. These rods have them.

So whats the real story here..do I continue with my brazil rods or mortgage the house for something else?

There's many guys on here spinning high rpm's on stock rods, I'd say it depends on power level your looking for...

Ok guys..

Where do you come up with using Brazil rods?

I have heard USA
I have heard England

One vendor did a test on rods and found the USA rods(he tested) were the best.

Of course out of the thousands and thousands of rods made from each of the facility he took a very small sample. In my opinion it was small enough to not allow a determination to be made. It was a good idea, but way too small of sample size. Maybe he got the best of the USA rods, and the worst of the others?

We are running mexico rods in our 3.0 puller. Leaving the line at 6k+ and running around 4500 down the track. I have always been told stock rods are good to 1500 hp when using them in a high static timing situation where you are spinning them at rpm. Actually bent a set of brazil rods in our first motor build when we were running twins. I feel it was from lugging the engine too much into its peak torque range. When i talked to haisley they said they have found absolutely no difference running any of the factory forged rods. Yes billets are nice but i would say for 95% of us they are not necessary. Thats just my .02 though.

Im running beaner rods....hope they hold!! I wish I could afford billet just for piece of mind.

Im running beaner rods....hope they hold!! I wish I could afford billet just for piece of mind.

Mexican rods are great in a common rail!!

rods_zps62fa0782.jpg

:lolly:

Last edited:
Mexican rods are great in a common rail!!

rods_zps62fa0782.jpg

:lolly:

You know a nice beans diesel window banner and a set of billets sent my way would be great advertising for you guys!!

But id rather bend that mexico than snap a stock common rail

You know a nice beans diesel window banner and a set of billets sent my way would be great advertising for you guys!!

But id rather bend that mexico than snap a stock common rail

Hahaha, i know i know. I made that a while back and thought it was funny in this thread too, but you're honestly okay I would bet. :Cheer:

To me it was like picking which bag of poo smelled the least!

I have England rods in my dd 12v and it has spun past 5000 many times with no issues.

Sent from my paperweight

Where do you come up with using Brazil rods?

I have heard USA
I have heard England

One vendor did a test on rods and found the USA rods(he tested) were the best.

Of course out of the thousands and thousands of rods made from each of the facility he took a very small sample. In my opinion it was small enough to not allow a determination to be made. It was a good idea, but way too small of sample size. Maybe he got the best of the USA rods, and the worst of the others?

Awww chit...
I saw in a couple different posts about the Brazilian...or was it the women and a Brazilian wax thing...hmmm easy to get distracted..
So I sought these out specifically.. am I now as screwed as one of those women with a wax job is about to be???

Either way its all about bending and not breaking with a goal of 800+ and a potential for 1k.

Also this is a daily driving summer toy.. half the fun on the street is using all that torque.. on the timing thing its a Cr and it can be played with...well it will be with an ecm change for efi..

So where are the danger zones on rpm and power where these rods have artistically modified like the one in the pic?

I dont think rpm limits are the issue and power well they have and are run in applications much higher than your 1k goal. Low rpm torque is gonna be the killer. There have been many running that kind of power in a common rail so i think you will be fine. Good tuning goes a long way.

Back