12v rods for the street

jedeka

Are you guys doing anything to 12v rods when building street driven trucks? A set of ARP rods bolts will be installed, but wondering if hardened rods are recommend for daily drivers. A local shop is going to build a 4BT for a customer. They have been using hardened or billet rods in IH and Deere pulling tractor engine builds.

I would at least go with shot peened rods if you have the engine apart. The low end torque of a built street truck puts more stress on a rod.. just my opinion though

What's the hp goal. I plan to beat the crap out of my stock balanced and sized rods. Over 1000 hp

I don't know all of the parts going into this build, but I know a cam upgrade, head studs with fire rings, main studs and different turbo are planned. I'm thinking it will be under 100 hp/cylinder since he is using a VP pump. My thoughts were to shotpeen the rods and use a set of ARP rod bolts.

I wouldn't worry about it at all at 100hp per cylinder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shouldn't have to worry about 12v rods until you're at least 750-800hp, some have good luck to 1000hp.

Shot peening and polishing are more to prevent cracking, stock 12v rods usually bend. Cryo treating is an enhancement to heat treating, doesn't help as much if the steel isn't heat treated first.

If you want to strengthen the stock rods, recondition, then peen/polish, then heat treat, then cryo.

Last edited:
Back