12v rods on a 800-1000hp cr

Lodge125

What's everyones opinion on running balanced 12v rods in a 5.9 cr motor that ill be running a 66 over s480 or 83 (undecided) with dual pumps big sticks and efi, looking for around 800-1000hp...do you think they will hold up or should i just nut up and get billet rods?

My truck was 800+ on a single for many miles before I installed compounds and as far as I know they're not bent. Most people will tell you that they're safer with big singles than compounds, but most people will also tell you to install billet rods for peace of mind.

Innovative diesel, my tuner, runs stock rods in their 2006 shop truck. It has a single 75 with nitrous and has run as fast as 10.30@125 in the quarter.

Edit: Innovative hit the rev limiter on that ^^^ run but they think it's around 1100 rwhp.
Sent from my LG pad

Last edited:
Torque is what bends/kills them. Keep the power up high and you should be alright.

This.

Somewhere around the 1500-1800 ft/lbs mark they tend to start making the "S" shape. So it comes down to the tuning at that point. I for one enjoy driving the big torque twins make, and as such would spring for the rods.

Last edited:
I'll have it tuned down a bit most the time but come time to throw it on the rollers or maybe a trip down the 1/4 mile you can bet your ass it will be turned up haha thats why it had me thinking about it, nobody wants to be pushed off the rollers or track

Want to know the secret about bending rods?

Think of them like a glass table. Set a brick on the table, it's fine. Drop it on the table and it breaks.

Rods are like this. The torque comes on too fast and it can bend or break the rods. This is why common rails bend rods so much easier, because of dynamic timing and high injection pressures making very early torque.

You can definitely tune around this too, but it takes a lot of trust in your tuner or yourself.

This.

Somewhere around the 1500-1800 ft/lbs mark they tend to start making the "S" shape. So it comes down to the tuning at that point. I for one enjoy driving the big torque twins make, and as such would spring for the rods.

I was a little unlucky and bent at just under 1450.
madahehy.jpg

And i guess on a side note who would be a good tuner, i have two in mind but don't want to post names and end up with a bashing thread ..you can pm if you don't want to post them as well

Cpp hardens and balances their 12v rods I think and jamie said he's had guys over 1600hp on cpp rods.

This.

Agree. You could make it live if it was tuned to make power higher in the rpm range, but if you're gonna do that, it kind of defeats the purpose of the twins. If you can afford it at all, I'd at least put a set of Carrillos in it

Cpp hardens and balances their 12v rods I think and jamie said he's had guys over 1600hp on cpp rods.

In a decompressed 12v they will last, not in a stock compression or higher CR.

Shot peened, polished, heat treated is a great way to go but for another $1000 you can get a billet set and be done with it.

I have always trusted my tuners 100% but 1000hp is flirting with disaster with anything but billet rods in a CR.

In a decompressed 12v they will last, not in a stock compression or higher CR.

Shot peened, polished, heat treated is a great way to go but for another $1000 you can get a billet set and be done with it.

My 12v motor will have more compression than a stock CR motor. So I'm crossing my fingers I can keep my tuning from bending mine. But with my compounds Im running and loose converter, my power will be way up in the RPM range. Lets hope it works. Or you know who I'll be calling for rods ! :hehe:

Back