12V Superduty conversion

12V F450

I have had my cummins running in my 05 for 6 months or so. 2 things I have learned so far is the 12V is a dog in stock 160 pump form. I have 4gsk, 60lb springs, studs, 0 plate, afc modded. What's left is a rack plug, injectors and timing to 17* give or take.

2nd thing I have learned is the 5r110 sucks to drive. I had my 6L custom tuned directly to the PCM and when the conversion was done, I was lucky enough to turn key and drive for 6 months without touching any trans electronics. But it always wants to rev high. Like real high, doesn't want to get
Into the next gear. Horrible to drive. I wanted to swap a manual in it when I swapped the engine but funds put a halt to that. So after all the talking here's my question. What's everyones favorite manual? (I know, overdone topic) I want a nv5600. I would do a zf6 but don't want to modify my tunnel or lower the rear of the trans via crossmember lowering.

Nv4500, nv5600, zf6, g56. What will I regret? Any medium duty trucks out there with a reasonably sized trans I could use?

Last edited:
I put in a zf6.floor hump was simple,and I just used the cross member that was already there.I'm not sure what you mean by lowering it.plus it's easy to just go buy a harness from Ford and plug it in for reverse lights and 4hi 4lo dash lights.the zf shifts awesome..just my 2 cents

Guys have drilled lower holes to drop the rear of the trans and gain floor clearance. And I have moved my auto trans back to the rear (zf6) factory holes already so I would have to drill holes further back yet. I did consider the zf because the ease of all factory parts for installation though

Why don't you just fix the trans shifting issues? 5r is already installed, not too hard to fix.

I dont really like or want the auto. Never intended to keep it an auto when I bought it. It's just a toy anyway, at some point every part on the truck will be changed out for something different I'm sure haha

I hear ya. I had a nv4500 in my last conversion and really liked it. Iactually like them better than the nv5600. That's all personal preference though. I'd suggest driving something with them in it and make up your own mind. Better to know than to take our word for it imo.

The NV4500 has wide gaps, Its definately strong when built with new splined main shaft and updated nut. I'd do the zf6, A late model 6.4 version, and it would be strong, and shift a lot better. The ZF6 doesn't seem to have as many failures, as a G56. Plus the Ford version has a oil pump set up.
Thank You,
Deo

Back