12v timing

12vstrokethis

i know this isnt the right way to change the timing. but if you pop the nut off and turn the crane which way on the crane advance and which way retards thanks

There's a crane in your engine? I think you have bigger things to worry about. LOL

IIRC, you rotate the engine with the pump still attached to your desired plunger lift, pop the gear off, and rotate the engine back to TDC. You rotate the engine clockwise to advance the timing and counter clockwise to bring it back to TDC.

don't try this with out proper measuring tools, could end up real bad real quick!!

9.25" balancer (stock dodge)

9.25 x pi = 9.25 x 3.14 = 29.045

29.045 / 360 (degrees on the crank) = 0.080680555555555555555555555555556

0.080680555555555555555555555555556 x (however many degrees u wish to advance timing example 3*) 3 = .24 or 1/4"

so if your got your crank @ tdc and your pump @ tdc if you advance your crank by rotating it 1/4" it will advance timing by 3*....

now the confusing part is where your pump is pinned @... most of them would be pinned @ stock timing which varies by cpl# of your motor... mine was pinned @ 16* by a local shop.

please correct any screw ups young gun ^^^^^

i was just kidding, just keep trying it until you get right :bang

tape measure in 1 foot increments works great!! :Cheer:

i beleive it would be counterclock wise, or towards the turbo... hence advancing it...

if you rotated it clockwise, or towards the intake, it would retard it.... think about the way the motor spins.... advance is just that... in advance, or earlier in the stroke.

Its easy to mix up what to loosen when.....so here's my version.

You need to find TDC first, use the drop valve method. When you find it and its correct mark with something you can see real easy (I used a white acrylic paint marker deal)

Next thing to do is pin your pump, rotate the motor counter clockwise while using a small mirror to look inside the hole for the tab, it will be a small silver looking thing.

Then do your math (Dont worry its suuuper simple!) p.s i use 3 common denominators, no need for .345555555556 etc.
9.250x 3.145 = 29.091
29.091/ 360= .0808 inches for 1 degree of advance.

say you want 24* from stock which varies. lets say 14* for simplicity. 10x.0808= .808 Get out your micrometer and mark that on your dampener to the left of your TDC mark (I marked TDC and my new timing right where the belt crosses the dampener)

Break the pump gear loose (I built my own handy dandy puller for 0.00$) then rotate your motor back to your desired mark.

clean shaft EXTENSIVELY with break cleaner.

Tighten your pump nut down to like 50lb(also would be a nice time to replace the washer). then take it to 150 or 145, i made the mistake of going to 160. I bent the piss out of my homemade puller and eventually ended up welding a whole lot of metal into it. A couple hours later I got it loose again (I messed up the first time and needed to redo the job)

Remember to take the pump pin out before your start getting serious about the torque, go to 50 ft lbs while holding the engine with the alternator nut. then pull the pin and go 150.

Big blue has a write up similar to this. Hope I didn't forget anything!

thanks i will do. where do you get a new washer can you use just a lock washer from hardware or is that a stupid question

I don't know about you guys, but when I double check my plunger lift, I often find that the timing is a couple degrees off from my target :eek: sometimes takes a couple tries to get it right

didn't check it... don't care.. it runs the way i want it to..... lol

image if people new how to degree timing correctly#1, and set it up correct for there engine and mods#2 what a difference it would make

i had mine up around 25 for a bit.... sucked not having any bottom end... but the topend was wonderful.

now i'm in the 18-20 area and i love it. Nice balance of torquey bottom and pulls hard.

image if people new how to degree timing correctly#1, and set it up correct for there engine and mods#2 what a difference it would make

What is the correct way? I dont see how one method makes more power than another.

to me the number does not matter.... it's how the truck runs that does however

to me the number does not matter.... it's how the truck runs that does however

BINGO!!!

The numbers are arbitrary, they are just for our convenience and help in comparing. You don't set timing to a number, you set it to what performs best.

Back