12v to 03 Super Duty Legality Questions

Ryland1503

First off, great forum! I am about to start this swap and this forum has answered just about all the questions I ve had except for this one. What has to be done, bypassed, or kept hush hush to have this thing still a "legal" truck? I know about the federal law of the newer truck to older engine so im aware this won't be technically "legal", just trying to find out if i can even drive it being this would be my daily driver. Sorry so long, I've researched up and down seems like I can't find a definent answer. thank yall

03 F250 fx4 V10
95 175 12v

work: san antonio/ Live: la vernia, TEXAS

If you dont have the actual emissions test then I would just get a 03+ CR data plate and roll on.

Other than people like us on these forums, how many people can tell what year a Cummins is from just looking? No worries, if anyone questions it, just BS them right to the point of confusion. That looks like a 12V head(why yes it is, wakes them CR Cummins right up!) CR's don't have P-pumps(Yes, but the fast ones do!) See what I mean. I'm in the middle of a 12V swap into my '03 Superduty and won't lose a minutes sleep over it.

Depends on the state it is registered in. We done a 95 12V in a 2003 1500 and all we have to have in WV is a safety inspection, no emissions so they don't look at it twice. A prick station could reject it for not having a cat, but most like it too much too pick on that.

Good points Chris, I don't think about all that since I live in La.

The only legality issue I know of is in CA the vehicle year must match the engine year... hence 2005 truck must have a 2005 engine..

Other than that I have no clue...

Thanks, just double checking, I didn't want rip the truck apart and then find out I'm SOL.
Yeah, where I get inspections there is no emissions testing, hell they re just happy I have two headlights and not driving on donuts. On the gas to diesel swap is there any advantage to changing the fuel type on the title or VIN?
Oh accidently posted this again and don't know how to delete it yet, bare with me

Eh, you don't change anything with the title, but selling it would cause an issue if it went to an emissions area. I would not tell DMV, they may salvage your title. <not sure why, just sounds like dumb crap they would pull off.

yeah sounds like the less they know the better you are, the same probably goes for the insurance company.

thanks for all the input, is there anything else i should know about on these conversions other than discussed above? I don't want to get blind sided. I'm guessing, if the EPA should step in later down the road and start testing it would be grandfathered in?

I think you are blowing this a little out of proportion. Unless you live in Cali I doubt the EPA is gonna worry about you. Now for instance if you were gonna build 60 of these trucks and hot shot them then the EPA might be interested. In alot of cases the EPA is after the $$$. I think you should be more concerned with you insurance company. I have a good relationship with mine. But I came into my convo buying an 05 cclb king ranch for 7k that books for $26k. But they will work with me on the fact that I will have around $16k under the hood.

Talk with them and see how they address the idea. I wouldn't see a problem. But best to double check.

Good luck

I know of 2 people who could not get a vehicle past a Md. state inspection due to the engine being an older model year than the vehicle. 1 was old enough to just be titled as historic and a limit placed on it's use. Meaning not a daily driver. The other one was exactly like you are talking about. A 2002 with a 97 12v. Noncompliance with federal emission standards was right on the form. Let's just say he found another mechanic willing to work with him.

Last edited:
Yeah I probably am blowing it out of proportion, just didn't want to throw bunch of money at a yard ornament. Inspections won't be problem. Insurance I'll probably just leave it alone, if the truck gets totaled I'll probably make more parting the truck out and not have to deal with the insurance company.

you'll have hell because the truck has a gas VIN... if you register it in a non-smog county, you might not have too much trouble getting it inspected.

I would hold out for a diesel truck :eek:

I thought of finding a diesel for the swap, but the truck is paid off and I ve got everything the way I want on it already, the 8-9 mpg however is why im wanting to do this swap. Also I'm towing and driving more and more seems like everyday. Plus the truck is in great shape and I dont want to end up with a truck someone else didn't care for as much as I have mine.

my half ton is still registered as a gasser. on the title (i bought it in georgia and live in pa) says real big "diesel vehicles exempt" under the emissions. trucks a 94 and its a 12v. my friends that own the shop thatll inspect it said "if it has a diesel we just shut the hood"

like they said if u dont have diesel emissions, hammer down. get a buddy that owns an inspection station, take him a 30 pack.-i havent paid real $ for a sticker in years.

in tx, the tranplanted engine has to be same
year or newer than the vehicle its going in,
this is for gas. im sure you would have issues
with getting it inspected since the vin is a gas
and in tx, gas has to pass emissions.

Back