14" DD clutch?

LuckyLegs

Whistling snail lover
Im am putting a roadranger ten speed in my truck and am trying to find a clutch. the trans has a 1.75" input shift and mounts to a SEA#2 bell housing with a 14" flywheel. It seems like im doing something that not a lot of people are doing so finding info on google is tough.
My truck is mostly a towing truck but it will get hooked to a sled when its that time of year.
The RR ten speed is non syncro so the clutch will only be used for startup on the street. I am trying to figure out what materials will get me a clutch that i can pull with and yet still back a loaded trailer without driving my nuts. I feel like dual disc is a must as i am Currently slipping my ConOFE
I know there are tradeoffs when picking matierials just not real sure about what im up going to need. I really dont want to have to make this purchase twice because i smoked one up or it gives me other headaches. I Planning on getting the clutch from valair if i can find what i am looking for.
Thanks to all.

In my opinion whatever comes stock with those transmissions is more than capable being that they tow 80,000 or more pounds and have 1400 to 1800 ft lbs of torque.

the rto6610 is rated for about a 40k gvwr, it came out from behind a DT466 which is about 600ft/lbs. I really do not think i will be happy pulling with a stock medium duty clutch. I might be wrong but thats how it seems to me.
I am putting a pull style in it.

Makes sense now. I would see how big of a clutch they offer for it. Big question is how much hp your running. I would think them md clutches would be far supperior then what can fit in a LD tranny. Someone else is going to have to chime in on the dd and driveability cause the only multiple disk clutch i have experience with was a tripple and it sucked for dd. If you could get a big md or hd single i think that would be the ticket.

it would seem to me that an organic dd would be fine with your truck.. since its a trailer tower/dd spoolup doesnt seem like a real issue for you. so what im saying is you shouldnt have to use big rpms and lots of slip to get going at the pulls. im assuming your also not going to use hero gear.. so that being said i was able to do lots of pulls leaving the line at 2k and not really slipping the clutch out at 5oohp. so in my opinion a 14" dual disc with standard organic material should do all your asking.. acctually should be capable of lots more..

That makes a lot of sense. How much slipping can that take? Im not going to be drag racing, but i dont drive slow. If i was to race at all id have to start in 6th, which is same as third in the nv5600, and slip the clutch at 2k-3k with a heavy throttle. I want a clutch that i can do this with and not worry about it.
Hp range is high 500s to low 600s. its a p-pump 24v.
In the future, this rig will be continue to be modified and i dont want it to limit myself with a weak clutch.

talk with your clutch guy.. if it were me i would call peter at south bend as he has always done me right..
i would think you should be fine in the gear you know will work.. if you use your head about slipping the clutch it will work fine.. kind of goes like if you leave at 3k you want to almost pop the clutch to get the tires spinning and not slip the clutch long at all, just enought to make enough boost to get the tires spinning.. same goes for a lower rpm but you may slip the clutch a bit longer as the lower rpm doesnt build heat as fast..
anyway i still say organic material in the clutch, more aggresive material ends up being harder all around in driving, backing up with a trailer.. anyway call your clutch guy.. he should be able to set you up with spring pressures and materials.. just be competely honest with him..

Thanks, I feel like have a decent idea of what i need now. Im going to make some calls for sure.

only reason people haven't done it yet is because most rules don't allow it.

Gotcha, rules are pretty loose here as there are not a lot of serious pullers around. For me its just fun as im stuck in a class i cant seriously compete in because of the whole compound turbo thing.

I would call valair . you won't find what you necessarily need online. they built big truck clutches before they started in he light duty market

You can get the flywheel from a 8.3 are you wanting to use a pull type clutch or a push you need a pull type if you use the throwout bearing for the clutch brake.I had a RTO6610 in my truck and my buddy had one in his.You can run any clutch compound for the disk.
these guy's can help out.Ace Manufacturing and Parts Company - Sullivan, Missouri - Ace Heavy Duty Clutches, Ace Racing Clutches & Rokwell Industries
I have gotten alot of pulling disk from them for along time some kind of disk for my crower glide they actully make them there.You won't have to slip the 10sp that much you have lower gears to start out in I had 85000mile on mine when I sold it the clutch still looked like newI had a bronze button disk then I went to stock organic with 3800lb pressure plate was grossing 26000lb never sliped it.The bronze disk would chatter bad that is way I changed them.
Dale

Last edited:
Here's what I did: I used a "pot style" 14" flywheel so I could use Eaton's biggest 14" DD 2" input clutch. The flywheels are hard to come by but the part number is 3910542. You will have to machine the ring gear lip down to install the correct ring gear for the 28mt starter (159t if I remember correctly). If you go to cummins you can get the info sheet on the above flywheel, and also get an info sheet on a flat flywheel (14") in order to get the correct ring gear depth, and have that set from a machine shop. The clutch I run is an Eaton easy pedal dual disc I will post some pics.

-Tom

Attachments

• motor%20ready%20for%20clutch.JPG
    motor%20ready%20for%20clutch.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 0
  • pot%20style%20flywheel.JPG
    pot%20style%20flywheel.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 0
  • clutch%20installed.JPG
    clutch%20installed.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 0
  • clutch%20linkage%202.JPG
    clutch%20linkage%202.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 0
  • clutch%20linkage.JPG
    clutch%20linkage.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 0
Correction, I believe its a 173t ring gear for the 28mt starter.

Flat flywheel 14": 3908574
173t ring gear: 3903309 (.540” thick- 173 teeth)

-Tom

One thing I would be leary of is spinning these clutches any kind of serious rpm. I personally would not turn one over 3200rpm or so as they were never designed or rated to do that. The big dual disc I mentioned and pictured above is about 110lbs worth of clutch let alone that monster of a flywheel. It would be a bad day if it decided to come apart.....

-Tom

The 3908574 flat flywheel is rated at 3400 rpm
The 3910542 pot flywheel is rated at 3800.

Some of the sae#3 flywheels are rated at 4570

I realize that these ratings may not factor in the heat generated by slipping the clutch.

Not sure what rpm to trust the cast pressure plates to. I'm not very familiar with the big truck clutches, but is seems like the cast pressure plate is better, though I'm inclined to go with the stamped steel one due to rpm.

One thing I would be leary of is spinning these clutches any kind of serious rpm. I personally would not turn one over 3200rpm or so as they were never designed or rated to do that. The big dual disc I mentioned and pictured above is about 110lbs worth of clutch let alone that monster of a flywheel. It would be a bad day if it decided to come apart.....

-Tom

Planning to run a pull style.

I have to admit i had not thought about that. gonna have to do some checking into it. Need to make sure im not going to be sitting on bomb with the 4gsk. Guess ive got some more reading to do on that.

the 14" flywheel i have came off a 6bt powered UPS truck. This would be the same as what you just said was rated at 3400 rpm right?

Last edited:
there are other options on the clutch as well, with the lipe type clutches you can get more spring pressure, steel cover and there are some ductile plates available for them. I wouldnt spin a cast clutch those kinda rpm's.

Back