1500 Cummins - A semi-rowdy Daily Driver

wilmesbm

I've been wanting to build something enjoyable to drive back and forth to work for quite some time now. I knew I wanted a "smaller" truck and I knew I wanted to build something that got semi-decent mileage. So, today I picked up a 98 1500 single cab short bed with a 24 valve VP motor and a NV4500.

The body is in pretty good shape, other than being the wrong color. No rust, which around here is tough to come by. The interior is junk and will need some pretty serious attention. The motor supposedly has 180,000 on it, but there's no way to really be sure. The swap was done about a year ago, and the previous owner has been putting some miles on it since then, but it still needs some time put into it. Nothing major, just some TLC, some cleaning up, and finishing some of the stuff that never got done. All in all, it's a pretty good start for what I'm looking for.

As of now, it's got a dual disc clutch, 150hp injectors, some type of Fass pump, a 366, and a Edge Juice. It runs pretty good for what it is, but I'm going to turn it up a bit more. I'm thinking a sxe369 and bigger injectors, and a bit of nitrous, but I'll get to that a little later. It's also going to get a manual VB automatic at some point, but that may not happen until next winter. Not sure on that yet.

First, all of the mundane stuff has to be done. Wheels and tires are a must and need to be done fairly quickly. It's going to get a cheap paint job, most likely white. Then I need to go through everything. Clean up the swap, figure out what to do with the interior, the front end needs some attention, HID lights, guages, etc.

I'm going to try and keep a somewhat current build thread going on just to document my progress. At this point the goal is to push the VP as far as it will let me while still trying to maintain some decent mileage. I'd like to be somewhere around 600-650hp on fuel, but we'll see how it all plays out.

Attachments

• wilmesbm_1500_1.jpg
    wilmesbm_1500_1.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 0
  • wilmesbm_1500_2.jpg
    wilmesbm_1500_2.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 0
  • wilmesbm_1500_3.jpg
    wilmesbm_1500_3.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 0
  • wilmesbm_1500_4.jpg
    wilmesbm_1500_4.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 0
  • wilmesbm_1500_5.jpg
    wilmesbm_1500_5.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 0
Great find! Looks like it has 8 lug wheels on it so I'm thinking its a shortened 2500? You're right it is fun to drive, I built one a couple years ago. Good luck with the build and keep us posted!

Great find! Looks like it has 8 lug wheels on it so I'm thinking its a shortened 2500? You're right it is fun to drive, I built one a couple years ago. Good luck with the build and keep us posted!

No it's a 1500 with a Dana 70 rear swap. I'm not sure what was done in the front, I haven't made it that far yet.

More likely that it's using the driveline components from a 3/4-ton truck. That would be easier (and safer) than cutting and stitching the frame back together.

That truck has been floating around on craigslist for a while, I've been waiting to hear of someone buying it. Thankfully a compD member bought it and it's in the right hands now. Definitely will be following this build thread!

If there's anyone local to the Cincinnati-ish area that does painting on the side, I am going to be needing a paint job in the near future. Nothing special and/or fancy, just want to make it look a bit more presentable. I'd prefer to give my business to someone on here, or at the very least, someone who people have had good luck with in the past.

Also, does anyone have any pictures of a gutted dash in a 2nd gen? I'm trying to come up with some ideas for the interior.

no reason to go to a 369 unless the current 66 is trashed. put a set of infinite performance 6x.013s in it and be right at your goal. good luck with the 4500. you'd be way a head to put an auto in it.

Cool project! Curious to see how it comes together. Where is the truck from and what part of Cincy are you in?

no reason to go to a 369 unless the current 66 is trashed. put a set of infinite performance 6x.013s in it and be right at your goal. good luck with the 4500. you'd be way a head to put an auto in it.

It's definitely getting an auto at some point, just not sure how quickly I'll get to it.

Cool project! Curious to see how it comes together. Where is the truck from and what part of Cincy are you in?

I'm just outside of Lebanon, towards Loveland. I bought the truck in Jeffersonville, but didn't get a great description of where exactly it originated from.

Does anyone know who built this truck? I found a thread of his on another forum where he went by the name of "shortbedguy". It appeared he specialized in doing short bed conversions and looked like he did quite a bit of Cummins stuff.

I'm a pretty big fan of how this truck looks. After seeing this, I may stay with the blue paint job. I'm a sucker for white trucks, but I could probably live with this look. Curious to see what kind of suspension setup it has if someone knows how to get ahold of him.

Attachments

• wilmesbm_1500_6.jpg
    wilmesbm_1500_6.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 0
Hes a member here and at DuramaxDiesels.com

Has done quite a few of different makes.

Last edited:
I had a trade setup with this guy, really knows how to beat around the bush and not follow through, hope it treats you well! Short beds are a blast I love mine!

Not much to update at this point. Just been gathering up some parts and getting a game plan together. Hopefully I can tear into it a bit this weekend.

Anyone with a 1500 swap have any idea what this thing weighs?

I need to come check this thing out! I do recall trying to talk you into the very same truck at the firepunk drags...

Back