16.5's on a 3rd gen?

the 16.5 won't work on the 3rd gens there is not enough clearance for the brake caliper the 17's just barely clear the caliper

Won't work my son lent his 16.5 pitbulls to his buddy he has a 05 won't clear the calipers.

Dale

I've heard guys have ground the calipers and made them work, never seen it tho.

Can u grind the caliper, I know the old kingpin 60's wouldent take 15"s but u could grind the caliper to accept them......
Not by any means saying do it cause I would never do this, just a piece of info.
Brandon

I fit 16's on my 04 it took alot of grinding 2'' spacers up front(had them lying around) and some homemade 1/2'' spacers in the back. Made the truck wide as he$$. Looked good but way too much work unless you get the tire and rims for a good deal, which I did. IMO DONT DO IT TOO MUCH WORK.

I've had 15's on old 60's, calipers are pretty thick... lil grinding wont hurt !

yeah, the tire and wheel setup would be free. They are on a 6000 super stock gas rig that isn't really being used right now. I'm not scared to grind a little, or use spacers if I have to. But if it's gonna be a hack job, I'll forget about it.

Its basically grinding one end of the caliper. The biggest thing is the clips for the pads that have to be taken down Just alot of trial fitting and grinding. You can probably get away with a smaller spacer up front, I had 2'' ones so I used those. In the back I just used a nut that slide over the wheel stud. If the wheels are free then do it.

I just put 15" wheels on mine the other night, had to grind about 1/4" ff the caliper and a little bit off the drum but they fit fine now.
JP, I know what tires your talking about and they would work good around here, might be a little hard on the drivetrain on good tracks though. I would like to try those things out.

I just put 15" wheels on mine the other night, had to grind about 1/4" ff the caliper and a little bit off the drum but they fit fine now.
JP, I know what tires your talking about and they would work good around here, might be a little hard on the drivetrain on good tracks though. I would like to try those things out.

Yep, you know exactly which ones I'm talking about. :evil
I don't see why we couldn't try them on your truck too.

goodmanfarms1.jpg

the easiest way to find out if it will work or not is to get one of the wheels and put it in place, you will find out exactly how much you have to grind off and where. you should be able to tell if its feasable or not.

Just had to grind a tad off the rear calipers on a neighbors 06 3/4 ton to make a set of "winter" 16in mud tires/rims fit. It can be done, it would depend on what wheel your wanting to use. $.02 :Cheer:

Just had to grind a tad off the rear calipers on a neighbors 06 3/4 ton to make a set of "winter" 16in mud tires/rims fit. It can be done, it would depend on what wheel your wanting to use. $.02 :Cheer:

Cool. They're the weld's in the pic a few post up. They have a pretty good offset.

the easiest way to find out if it will work or not is to get one of the wheels and put it in place, you will find out exactly how much you have to grind off and where. you should be able to tell if its feasable or not.

Exactly what I plan to do. Just wanted to know if I should bring a grinder or not :)

Can u grind the caliper, I know the old kingpin 60's wouldent take 15"s but u could grind the caliper to accept them......
Not by any means saying do it cause I would never do this, just a piece of info.
Brandon

x2 I ran 15" wheels on my k5 w/ dana 60 up front, but it took an angle grinder and about 2 hours of my time.

I will say though the bead on the 16.5" rim sucks, a 16", 15" and 17" bead is much better and will hold a bead a lot better at lower PSI. So depending how low you go on the 16.5 rim for drag racing or pulling Id watch out.

Back