16" wheels on my 2005 2wd

ylo73z

I want know if any one has put 16" wheels in the rear of their 3rd gen for drag racing purposes ....I want to use the 16" m&h drage race nostalgia tires and 16" was the smallest I saw last time I checked ...right now I'm running " diamo" wheels I think with 17" 395 m&h race master drag radials ...I want to go with a different wheel and tire to get the wheel flush with my bed side ...wheels I have now are for a lifted truck and have allot of offset ...any ideas ?

I've tried a 16" wheel on a DUALLY AAM rear axle and it won't fit.
I'm very certain the same applies with the SRW version, as well.

I've looked into swapping calipers and mounts from a D-70/80 from 2001-2002, but haven't physically tried this, yet.
They appear very similar, but the proof is in the fitment.

Mark.

Guys have done it...
For 2nd gen trucks,, get with roskoe115 or diesel importer, they both use a16"wheel and tire that tucks,

As far as fitment, i think it's a matter of grinding some metal off

Last edited:
Never felt right about grinding on brake parts, but to each their own, I guess.

Mark.

I took a grinder to my rear calipers back in 2006...haven't had a singe issue since.

I used to run the 16" steel wheel on my 04.

Talked to the driver of one of the bullseye sponsored 3rd gen drag trucks about this. He had his machined down but found out afterwards the calipers apparently bolt right on from a 2002. He wasn't sure if they would blow out or not from being machined but he hasn't had an issue yet. I looked at them and damn if I could fit a business card in between the caliper and the rim.

So the 2002 calipers might be the way to go ....I wonder if everything will work the same ...like brake lines and abs stuff ?

It's hard to tell from the pics, but see for yourself.
1st pic is a 2001 DB-D80, 2nd is an '05 AAM 11.5, both dually.
Both pics are from the back side on the right hub assembly of each axle.

2001 Dually DB-80:

80AAM1_zps4a3352bb.jpg

2005 Dually AAM 11.5:

80AAM2_zpsbe951a90.jpg

Mark.

Actually I goofed on the 2nd pic, the 2001 rear end was flipped over.:doh:
Here's the correct pic:

80AAM3_zpsc312361b.jpg

Mark.

Like Margus said I believe from what I've read the calipers are the same but the rotor is smaller (I could be wrong here though)

I am curious as to the fitment of a low backspaced wheel being I ground mine down for the fitment of 16.5's

Summit lists some 16x10 pro comp wheels with 2.75" backspacing that I'm tempted to order just to see if they fit for this same reason

I got to make something work ....17" wheels are not a option ...my buddy had 16" wheels on his 94 with rear disc conversion ....it hooked so good with those m&h slicks and I've been jealous since

I'm seriously thinking of just hitting the calipers with a grinder and having some 16" steel make with the offset I want made up

I'm seriously thinking of just hitting the calipers with a grinder and having some 16" steel make with the offset I want made up

Go for it. Mine didn't effect the braking whatsoever when I did mine and I'd be the first to say something if it was hazardous.

Just take your time and don't heat up the caliper too much while grinding and you'll be fine. Grind a little and mount, grind a little and mount, and continue till you find the right amount.

I have a 73 240 z that I did that to ...put Toyota 4x4 front calipers and had to grind the calipers to make the wheels fit ...I grinded then painted the caliper mounted the wheel turned it ,looked for the spot where the paint rubbed off then repeated the process ...worked good

Sorry, but I must object. :doh:

If there were an option available to do this without grinding on a SAFETY ITEM, I'd certainly take that route first.
Doing this with the intent of off-road use only, such as sled pulling, etc., is one thing, doing it knowing it's Not-Quite-Right and every day driving it is quite another.

It'd be different if you were doing little more than polishing it, but when I looked at it, it was more like hacking a 1/4" scallop into the casting.
Most cast brake and engine items are hardly ever much more than 3/8" at the thickest.

It's likely that the earlier caliper mounts/rotors will solve the problem, all you need to do is investigate it a bit more.

Mark.

I could be really offbase here, but 16" wheels fit with no issues on the GM version of the AAM 11.5 axle. Could you guys use GM parts instead of grinding?

I'm up for any option ...but if grinding is the best option I'm going that route since my truck does zero towing and is a regular cab 2wd it's not exactly heavy

What kind of 60' are you getting now?

Just curious.

I got a 1.8 at a garbage track ...tranny was hurt too ....rebuilding the tranny and getting a new custom smarty tune from ATP ..see how it goes after all that

Back