1986 cummins??????

Jonas

A guy I work with told me I could buy his 86 cummins for 500. My question is, did they even have a 1986 cummins turboed? He says the engine runs great but somethins up with the tranny. Good deal or not? Help clear the confusion.
JW

eeehhh................ is he sure he even knows what year his truck is??

(the last time i checked, they showed up in the 89 model :) )

that's exactly what I thought. I know the current and prior to him owner. The prior owner told me it was the first year cummins was used. I think the current owner is confused. Good deal or not? $500 bucks

I know that they had Mitsubishi Diesel's before they had the Cummins in the 1989 model year.

So I guess that it could be a Mitsubishi or it could be a Cummins that somebody flipped a number in the model year.

A running Cummins is worth $1500.

First year dodge diesels are 1989 models. My truck was built in July of 1988 but it is still a 1989 model. There were no full size diesel Dodges in 1986, the Mitsubishi diesel junk was in 1978-79. They didn't even have enough power to pull themselves at 70mph. I think the 1989 for $500 is well worth it even if it needs $2000 in work to make it good again.

Is this engine industrial or automotive ?

I have one industrial 130hp engine (non turbo) , with Lucas fuel pump made in 1986.

If you knew engine serial number,then its easy to identify it.

I know that they had Mitsubishi Diesel's before they had the Cummins in the 1989 model year.

So I guess that it could be a Mitsubishi or it could be a Cummins that somebody flipped a number in the model year.

A running Cummins is worth $1500.

Depending on condition!

First year dodge diesels are 1989 models. My truck was built in July of 1988 but it is still a 1989 model. There were no full size diesel Dodges in 1986, the Mitsubishi diesel junk was in 1978-79. They didn't even have enough power to pull themselves at 70mph. I think the 1989 for $500 is well worth it even if it needs $2000 in work to make it good again.

The Mitsubishi Diesels were 79-79, eh? Damn, they must have sucked.

The only "condition" required for a Cummins out here to be worth $1500 is for it to be running... A running engine can pull $1000.

The Mitsubishi Diesels were 79-79, eh? Damn, they must have sucked.
Best I recall they were 248cid of naturally aspirated diesel. I think they were about 80hp at the crank with no accesories. My neighbor has one and I have driven it a few times. I have farm tractors that are faster!! LOL

Thanks for clearing things up guys. I have a strong feeling the current owner is wrong about the year. How much does a new beefed up automatic cost for 1st gens and what kind are they?
Now I just have to get my wifey to jump on board.
JW

For $500, it would bring almost that much in scrap iron. Go take a look at it.

Yes Dodge use the 354 Perkins back in the 1960's, but it was never in the light duty trucks, at least from the factory. I think it had to be a D500 or C500 at least to get the 354.

Maybe he's some sort of upsilexick, you know, all the letters and numbers are upside down LOL. Yeah I'd say he's got his years crossed. but 500 for a runnin cummins, I'd buy it.

Back