1990 F150 cummins swap

turboman1

Quick question,

anybody know if federal emissions laws will not allow swapping a class 2b (6001–8500 lb GVWR) motor into a class 2a (8501–10000 lb GVWR) truck?

Was told this was not possible if you need to have your truck smog tested but wanted to make sure.

Wanting to swap a 91-94 cummins (2b GVWR) into a 1990 F150 (2a GVWR) with a zf5.

Thanks
Adam

It was always my understanding that if the motor was newer you were good, but I'd do more research on it if I were you. Where are you located?

Knoberman, I am located in Tucson AZ. Called the emissions department and they told me I can only swap in equivalent class rated motors. On the other hand I called the DMV and they said it will only need an inspection and some paper work on the title to now say diesel.

Anybody in Arizona have any experience with this?

Thanks
Adam

I thought I read somewhere you can pay an extra fee per year and be allowed to tow more than the GVRW of the truck. Anybody know if you can pay this to theortically increase the GVWR and then swap motors?

I don't think it is that simple...they scan or write down the vin which tells them what the truck previously was.

Looking at doing a 4bt now, anybody know what class rating the bread vans were that they came in?

Adam

Wow. I thought NY was bad with stupid laws. Round here you can easily swap any motor into a vehicle built before 95'.... if its a little newer most get away with just registering it heavier.

I'd have to go look at my 91 but I bet it's not over 8500 gvw.
Have you asked an inspector? I wouldn't think it would be a problem, but I don't have emissions checks.

Thanks for the replies guys,

Keith, are you saying your 91 bread van with a 4bt has a gvwr of 8510?

thanks
Adam

I lived in Scottsdale years ago and did a Chevota conversion....Was a royal pain in the butt with registration. We sold the truck to a friend in a less strict state. Got it registered and titled and then bought it back. Registration was then just like any other car or truck. YMMV

Edit to add, The smogging was likewise easy as could be after it was bought from the other state...

Last edited:
Back