1997 F350 CCLB 4x4 Cummins ZF5

Fummins97,
I'm in the same boat as you. DCS has not been able to give me solid info on how to hook it up. I will bug them about it again soon though. If you hear anything or figure it out before I do please let me know!

will do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

nice truck makes me miss my 96 f250...who would have thought the dodge intercooler would work as good as it looks too...

Nice work on your truck. I had one of these tach pick ups back when they were fordcummins and I never could get it to work on my 92, so I ended up putting an auto meter tach on it. On your hydros not being strong enough, I say that is BS. I've had 4200lb pressure plates in my 92 F-350 with stock ford upper and dodge lower and ran it that way for 4 years. The truck was upgraded to a triple and then we put in dodge hydros and noticed no difference. My 95 F-350 has the same trans as yours and I like it other than the 3 to 4 shift seems worse than a NV4500 when you're towing heavy. Other than that, I've put 160k on my ZF behind a 12v with no problems.

DieselWrencher,
Did your tach pick up use the bolt on pick up ring? Or did you grind two extra notches in the balancer? I thought the same thing about the hydraulics. The weird thing is that it shifted great with the 460, but not with the cummins. It is definitely not releasing the clutch far enough. Is it possible to mount the slave wrong? Or do you think that the mod Mendomotox mentioned would fix it?

not enoughsmoke,
They cant figure out which wire to hook it too on the 460 wiring harness. There are only two wires, one ground and one to the tach. Seems easy to me, haha. Was your truck a 460? Can you elaborate on the wiring of it?

gorilla550,
They are definitely pretty trucks and work great. Ya, that intercooler really does fit well. I tried using the 7.3 superduty intercooler, but it would not fit around the stock 460 radiator and i did not want to change the radiator.

6.4 F-350,
Here are a few pics of my old pickup. I bought it off a cattle ranch in Eastern Oregon where it had been sitting for 10 years. I did not restore it at all, besides new carpet and waxing the old paint. I also put superduty front springs in it and a 79 4wd steering box. The truck ran great and i put more than 20k miles on it before i sold it with zero issues.

IMG_0245_zpsbf56389e.jpg

IMG_0241_zps02b3d9a9.jpg

97DFA5FB-3193-4EF5-8B58-ADEB2E5BCC82-9974-000005D8D72A9875_zps8313f68f.jpg

not enoughsmoke,
They cant figure out which wire to hook it too on the 460 wiring harness. There are only two wires, one ground and one to the tach. Seems easy to me, haha. Was your truck a 460? Can you elaborate on the wiring of it?

I thought i had the gas wiring diagram with me at work but i dont its at home
I will check back when i get home
My truck was a powerstroke but the other truck i started converting was a 351 truck

Jcarrick,
If your clutch pedal had a bunch of slop in it, the bushing is worn out. This may not fix your hard shifting problem but if the bushing is worn out it's still causing you problems. Doing the hiem joint mod helped my 97 Powerstroke a lot, it still didn't shift great due to worn out syncros (with 230k on the truck) but it still helps a lot to get the clutch fully disengaged. On the other hand my 460 with only 140k on it still shifts fine.

not enoughsmoke said:
I think my problem is that I hooked into the harness too far down the harness, I found something that says I need to connect up by the cruise control servo on the drivers side fender. Going to try that this weekend.

fummins97,
I would like hear what you find with this and if you get it to work please let me know what needs to be done.

I talked to DieselWrencher last night more about my clutch release issues. I checked and made sure that i do in fact have the slave put on correctly, i replaced the bushing in the master cylinder rod and the last thing i could do is try bleeding it or replacing all the hydraulics. I dont think the hydraulics are an issue though because before i converted it the truck shifted great. The only thing i did was remove the slave and let it hand until i had the tranny back in. I dont think air could get in the system this way, but maybe its possible. After this the last thing that it could be is that i got a defective clutch and pressure plate. Ryan (DieselWrencher) told me that he and other people he knows have had issues with this clutch many times. Apparently it can have bad/weak springs in it that wont let it release all the way. Not to mention this clutch will not even handle the 350-375hp that i am throwing at it when it is rated at 500hp/1000ftlbs. So if its the clutch itself i guess i am just going to wait until it wears out and get a dual disk. Hopefully in the process it doesnt wear out the syncros in the tranny, but i dont have the money for a new clutch and southbend wont warrenty it. Kinda sucks.... ha

Heres a pic of the engine bay for those who are interested. I know it is dirty as hell, but i havent cleaned it in about 20k miles. I will pressure wash and clean it soon.

A317C75D-B719-4A4A-B81E-30E6737E6F95_zps0racnfcj.jpg

I was in the same boat with the tach. I'm thinking it's a green wire had the same problem with my 89. Will double check if your still needing help.

Ya, it's still not working. I started another thread about it to try to get more info on it in this section. DCS is supposed to be emailing a wiring diagram showing which wore to use, but haven't heard back yet. Any info you have would be awesome! Please post in the FordCummins/ DCS tach sensor thread so more people can get info for the solution on making this thing work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure how to up load pictures from my phone but the tach wire is green with a yellow strip comes from a red plug. Think it may have a resistor in it not sure.

Here is the pic Duey from DCS sent me today. I will test it out later this week and hopefully get it working. He also said to make sure to take the rubber o-ring off the sensor before putting it in the bracket and to set the gap at .014-.020

0B83BA33-B23C-40FD-99AF-66942B698B81_zpsvkcgar8i.jpg

I finally got the tach working!! Its pretty awesome. Havent had it up to 80 yet so i cant tell you what the rpms are with these gears and tires. Heres a pic:

9CA12ED3-4A2D-47F7-B2CA-C2A2B2D4AEEB_zpszu44xbvi.jpg

I put all the major details about it in the other thread.

In other news, i found a turbo that i will be picking up when i finish a customers truck next week. It is off a C15 and will be used in my twins setup. This will be a slow process, but its still pretty exciting!

Well I just got back from hauling a big contractors trailer to Mexico and back to central oregon. The truck ran like a champ. Not only did it out pull my buddies 6 leaker with more weight in it, it also got better fuel economy. Before we left I put Rancho 7000's on it and replaced my autometer pyro that took a crap. These shocks are awesome and handle a load really well.

Now it's time to start working on the little stuff I haven't gotten to yet. I'm going to rework the throttle linkage bracket on the pump to use my cruise control, get the ac all hooked up, dynamat the whole cab, and do some more little interior things.

Clean looking swap! I'm in the middle of a 24v cummins conversion on my 97 F350, the info ya have compiled on the tach well save me some headache when I get there!

Stokes,
Thanks for the kind words! I figured a write up about that would be good considering the lack of info given with the product. Good luck with your swap!

I also wanted to ask about tires. I currently have Goodyear MTR Kevlars that I really have no complaints with except that they are wearing out fast. I have put over 20k on this thing in less than a year and they are already down to about 50%. Does anyone have any suggestions on a longer lasting 35x12.5 17" rim tire that will look good for when it comes time to replace these?

Back